Buy, Build, help needed on spec

Helen_16

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Hi

I seem to either have terrible luck or have very bad choices and have gone though a HP, Dell, Toshiba and Acer Aspire laptop in the last 5 years. They seem to just give up and die, mainly a motherboard (and usually unresolvable issue). I always have some sort of virus protection but not sure why the last one has died (despite all my best efforts at resolving 100% constant disc running to no avail).

Aside I do not do any gaming but I do have lot's of applications open at once and do edit photos and store lot's of photos, videos on the HD. I use it for internet, work etc. So I was wondering what sort of spec I should really be looking at. I shelled out for an i7 thinking it would run faster but only got just over 12 months from it. (Sure windows 10 hasn't helped)

I'd looked at Surface pro's but they seem hugely costly and wondered whether a self build would be more beneficial but then I wouldn't know exactly what to go for. Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks.

heavyartillary9

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
pre builts are always WAY over priced, you will always be better off building yourself, and you should not need an i7 for basic using as you do, most gamers don't even need an i7

whats a rough budget your looking for, and do you have to move it around a lot ?

Helen_16

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
I did think that might be the case. Yes I do need it to be portable as I am room to room as have no space for a desktop. :/

Thinking up to £800 if it's all singing all dancing. :bounce: