Buying a high performance laptop

cristian9509

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
- Budget: ~$1100
- Preferably 4th gen i7 Intel. I don't like AMD
- Size: 15.6 inch
- Graphic card (nVidia, i don't like ATI): How about GT 740M, 750M or GTX 760M? Are SLI better or I should rather stay with single? I've read that Windows 8.1 & SLI = lots of headaches.
- Resolution: the higher the better
- Must be portable. That is why I want a 15.6.
- Battery life: since I want to have high performance laptop, battery life of 3h would be a plus
- Gaming: yes. Medium (High if possible) would be nice.
- I want it to be Photo/Video Editing, some 3ds Max, etc, Android programming (working great with emulators)
- HDD does not matter. Over 500GB its fine. SSD is a plus
- I want it to last at least 3-4 years. I already have an Asus G60JX (i5-first gen, Nvidia GTS 360M). It's still good and I had it for ~4 years.
- I like (in this order) Toshiba, Asus, Dell (Alienware - too expensive for me), Lenovo, maybe MSI. I don't like HP and Acer due to reliability issues. Between Toshiba, Asus and Dell any would be fine if the configuration is right. Laptop 3 year malfunction rates
- I live in USA
- Extra: I like my laptop to run cool at low loads. My Asus currently stays at GPU 55C and CPU 35C at stanby and I believe that 55C for GPU is a bit too much.

I have the option to buy at Microcenter. I found this laptop that is almost exactly what I need but I cannot find it anywhere else to check reviews. Is Microcenter a good place to buy technology from? Asus N56JR-MH71

Thank you!

IRONBATMAN

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
How about building your own PC, keep it at home, and buy a tablet or laptop for basic work like web surfing and emails.

Building your own PC is definitely more worth than a high end laptop.

cristian9509

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I want to buy a new Laptop which should be portable. When my Asus laptop will be done I will probably replace it with a desktop PC. My Asus is big, thick and heavy as heck. Nothing portable at it. So, for this moment a desktop PC is not a viable option for me.

cristian9509

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Thanks for the reply. It's a really strong configuration and even if the price goes somewhere close to 1,200 I might be interested in it. However when it comes to MSI I don't have a lot of knowledge (I know that their parts are better than HPs). The site I've posted with fault rates doesn't even include MSI so I wonder how well are they doing? Parts quality?

cristian9509

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

I keep on stopping on that Asus N56JR from Microcenter. It's $999 and has i7-4700, 16GB, GTX 760M. It's such a great deal but I cannot find much reviews about it. Most of the people that got it love it and are happy with specs and quality. Does anyone has some information about Asus N56 models? Or maybe about Asus N models?

Thank you!