Buying a Laserdisc player

IR2010

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Hi

I am interested in picking up a Laserdisc player, mainly as a 'retro' gadget really as I know there are better editions of films out these days on DVD/Blu-Ray etc, but there are still lots of cult titles on Laserdisc and VHS that have never been released on DVD so thats the main sort of stuff I am collecting.

Is there such a thing as a region-free Laserdisc player? As I live in the UK, and so most of the stuff I will be buying will probably be US Laserdiscs, but I still want to be able to play UK discs aswell incase I come across something on UK Laserdisc. Or is it a case of not much good stuff being released on UK/region 2 Laserdisc?

If region-free Laserdisc players exist, are they pricey to buy these days? And if they are, could you recommend whether I should just try and pick up a region 1 player instead of a region 2 or what? I don't really know enough about the format to know what would be the best thing to do.

Thanks for your help.

althor1138

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
You have much reading to do. However, I can say that there is no region for laserdiscs. Only NTSC and PAL. Most discs were NTSC. The PAL market was never so big. So i guess even if you are in the UK I would definitely buy a NTSC player or at least a combi, but the quality on them isn't very great. Here is a link to get you started. Here are 2 links for you that should answer everything you need to know.

http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guides/laserdisc-guide/

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/

Smoke9

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Smoke9

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
This is my first visit on this forum I have over a thousand movies of laser disk and would like to sell them. Need to find anyone interested. Lots of collector items

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gau gau Streaming Video & TVs 0
N Streaming Video & TVs 1
abdabra Streaming Video & TVs 1
W Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 7
A Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
L Streaming Video & TVs 3
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
O Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2