Buying a new DSLR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi

I'm currently using a Canon 450D with a Canon 50mm 1.8 STM, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit non-IS and a Sigma 105mm macro lens.

I'm looking for a camera that has a sensor than will allow high ISO up to around 3200-6400 so i can get higher shutter speeds when using a tighter aperture such as F8-11. I mostly do macro and portrait shots so i prefer the using a slower aperture. With my currently camera i struggle to get above 1/50 of a second and due to living in England its mostly overcast lighting so i have to use ISO 400-800.

I was thinking the 7D or the 5D Mark II (but i hear the 5D can's use EF-S lens), i will most likely buy my camera off ebay or from a used camera shop.

I'm happy to hear any recommendations.

Thanks!

Solution
DP review , is a great place to look for reviews. Looking at noise at high ISO is important, and their reviews are very detailed. https://www.dpreview.com/

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but I know that you have a good enough understanding of the relationship between Aperture, shutter speed and ISO. If you want a faster shutter speed say 1/500th then open up the aperture, at the cost of depth of field whilst maintaining a decent ISO to avoid noise.

You might find that an OS lens will help, and give you about 3 more stops of exposure (before it blurs through lens movement).

I had a 400D, and moved to a 550D, and the difference was dramatic, much bigger than a single model update should have created.I don't think that...

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Okay good to know. Cams going to be here before Saturday which is good as i've been asked to take pictures (and now videos) of and event that's on Saturday.

Also my pictures from the event last Saturday have been used for the events review article a friend has been doing, they credited me at the bottom of each of my images and at the bottom of the page alongside my instagram webpage link.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

I use Lightroom to get rid of some of the grain due to high ISO sometimes (never 100% thou as over-wise it looks to smoothed out) and i also remove purple fringing if i see any.

I then fix the exposure if needed to and then warm up the image if it came out to cold/grey/washed out.

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I realise that I'm late to the party, but as 13thmonkey suggested, why don't you consider buying a flashgun and reflector? Something that attaches to the flash like a Rogue Flashbender for example? Seems the best option to me.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Interesting article I came across today, regarding this exact issue:

I Got Tired Of People Giving My Camera The Credit For My Photos, So I Bought The Cheapest Camera And Lens I Could Find To Prove Them Wrong
https://www.boredpanda.com/professional-pictures-cheap-camera-phillip-haumesser/

Ignore the sales pitch, and look at the pics.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Yes i understand that, my 450D would do amazing with that amount of light. But what i need is a camera that can handle fast action at event in low light I'm still gonna keep using my 450D in rugged locations as its a cheap cam i can scrape & damage a bit.

Anyway the 650D cam has been delivered gonna take it with me to the O2 Ritz in Manchester tonight as fellow photography buddy needs a wingman to do some extra footage with him. Also he recommended i had a go with his 70D & 6D at some point in the night which will be cool to try out.

Me at the O2 Ritz doing photography.... gonna be amazing