Should I buy a Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR (only with kit lens), or a Canon Powershot S540 (non interchangeable lens)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivyphoto

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
I am looking to buy a camera and I'm having a hard time choosing either the Canon EOS Rebel T5, (comes with kit lens 18-55 mm), or this Canon Powershot S540 (non interchangeable 24-1200mm lens). I want to be able to take good portraits, but once I buy the DSLR, I have to stick with the kit lens and my budget does not allow me to buy another lens. But in the long run, I'm afraid that the powershot will be outdated in a couple of years and it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, and I think the DSLR will be useful in the future when I earn more money to buy lens. But then I'm going to be stuck with the 18-55 mm lens for a while. So which should I buy?

Solution

Then the Rebel, or other DSLR.
I recently moved up from a Fuji HS-10 to a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless
The HS-10 is a similar...

USAFRet

Illustrious
The DSLR will absolutely take better pictures. Not in a couple of years...today.

But this also depends on your involvement in the art. The Rebel, while it does have auto modes, will take more 'hands on' and learning.

Also...what are you looking at getting out of these pics? What will you use them for?

ivyphoto

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

I said that I wanted to take good portrait pictures. But I'm not going to limit myself to just those. I want to take a wide range (macro especially too), or landscape etc. I just mainly want to take pictures as a hobby, and add to my photography account on social media and for a photography club I'm in.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then the Rebel, or other DSLR.
I recently moved up from a Fuji HS-10 to a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless
The HS-10 is a similar level to that Powershot, and the X-T1 is similar quality and sensor size to the Rebel.

Major difference in image quality. Major.

Solution

ivyphoto

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

Thanks for your help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.