Buying cheap old used laptop for programming

ZealotAssasin

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have a desktop that's relatively powerful, but am in need of a cheap laptop for coding Python, Javascript and some markup languages as well when I am on the move. Nothing too performance-heavy (14" preferably), but want something that can handle compiling/execution of scripts without too much trouble while multi-tasking.

I've thought about buying a used Thinkpad T60/61 or something for the reliability. I'd rather pay <$150 off craigslist/ebay. I'm wondering if it's worth it to save up for a more updated laptop with i3 and 4gb ram or something.

kajabla

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Assuming you'll be running Linux, anything should be fine. Don't bother with the more expensive parts. With that said, you could probably find some i3 machine out there for around $150.

ZealotAssasin

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
You can find a simple and cheap brand new laptop instead of going for used laptops.

I've found brand new ones around $300, but I feel if I'm going to spend $300, I might as well save up for 400-500. I think I may go with an older used Thinkpad, I hear they are reliable.

ronin048

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
try boneyardpc.com my Buddy from work just got laptops for his kids for school there. he got 3 at $100 each and they all come with 1 year warranty. Even the battery. I was looking my self. not really alot of selection but the models they do have seemed nice for the price plus you cant beat the warranty.