Buying Laptop; Your final thoughts...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wrong dmurdock Here what I do with my Intel duo. Have one cpu run game and muisc and basic windows aplications on the other cpu. 5 Hours battery life. It really works great. Now if vista and games start useing dual core cpus Yes we see a differnces. I know this for I cant drive so I use my laptop all the time. 3 hour drive and still have 30 to 40% battery life.

Intel 1.66 ghz duo. If I upgrade it will be for a new samsung 160gb hard disk. But waiting for the price to drop.

Cordachine

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
IF you want anything that has 256 then you'll have to look into the higher-end laptops, ie. Alienware, and I would assume Dell has something along that kidn of performance level as well (though I think its online chat support sux...lol). Neways, you won't see that many, if any at all, 256 MB video cards in "normal" laptops that we see everyday. You'll have to go for the higher-end ones, that's what I'm saying.
Btw, weren't laptops made NOT for gaming anyway? :?:

True about gaming, but not so ture as you might think. I am seriously leaning on a Sager 5320, see review here: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2594
This puppy will game! All of the newest games will run on this machine, and will continue to run for a while. Ture, six months from now, I am not going to be able to run the newest game on the maxed out settings, but I don't care. I am happy to be able to pick a sweet game and play it just about anywhere and watch DVD's on the road, and play poker online anywhere in my house. That is why I am getting a 1800 lappy. So I can play games if I want, understanding the limitations. Also, Dell doesn't have anything with a 256mb card and a 15.4" screen. I have considered Alienware.

phone_trouble

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I think you should look at the ACER 5672, duo core, 2gb ram, 120gb sata drive and X1400 graphics. very nice machine. and only $1500 at ZipZoomFly.com

Good Day! I am currently looking for a mid-price performance laptop. I am currently looking at a Dell Inspiron E1705. Intel Core Duo processor T2400 (1.83GHz), 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz, 256MB ATI X1400, 17" UXGA, 60GB 7200RPM HDD, and bluetooth. It is currently booking at around $2000. My questions are: 1. is the duo better for gaming than a single core processer at a higher speed, i.e. 2.5GHz, 2. How much difference does the faster HDD and RAM make, and if I had to choose, which of the two would make the most difference, 3. Is there a better laptop with these specs out there for a similar/less price? Any thoughts would be great Thanks!

Cordachine

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Another day, another option...sigh :? So I got a post on another thread about a Xplorer X5-7000. I have never heard of this line before, but the setup looks sweet. Its running the NVIDIA Go 6800 GPU, and the price is right. Has anybody heard of this lappy before, and it so, what do ya think. I will post the link below, let me know if there is something here I am missing. Thanks for everybodys posts keep em coming. 8)

Cordachine

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Another day, another option...sigh :? So I got a post on another thread about a Xplorer X5-7000. I have never heard of this line before, but the setup looks sweet. Its running the NVIDIA Go 6800 GPU, and the price is right. Has anybody heard of this lappy before, and it so, what do ya think. I will post the link below, let me know if there is something here I am missing. Thanks for everybodys posts keep em coming. 8)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ntbkx57000.asp?v=d

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hey Atol, you're like super knowledgeable about computers man.

That, and your agressive attitude which you just keep saying to everyone's post, "You're wrong", but not really explaining anything... aside from, "'Cause Atol say's so."

I know it's rough in the middle east, and you must have to be a jerk pretty much 24/7, but I just wanted to send you a hug and hope everyone else can spare one too (I gave you 2 to start you out) so we can help you be a useful member of society and you can start to be cool on the forum buddy.

14140_2.JPG

smoodiver

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Good Day! I am currently looking for a mid-price performance laptop. I am currently looking at a Dell Inspiron E1705. Intel Core Duo processor T2400 (1.83GHz), 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz, 256MB ATI X1400, 17" UXGA, 60GB 7200RPM HDD, and bluetooth. It is currently booking at around $2000. My questions are: 1. is the duo better for gaming than a single core processer at a higher speed, i.e. 2.5GHz, 2. How much difference does the faster HDD and RAM make, and if I had to choose, which of the two would make the most difference, 3. Is there a better laptop with these specs out there for a similar/less price? Any thoughts would be great Thanks!

Good day to you sir! I know what you're going through...I'm trying to find the exact same notebook as you are I think. Mine's for 'Oblivion'. Did you decide on a computer? I found one at a local store today, not sure if it's available where you are(I'm in Melbourne, Australia). http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/notebook/nb/pro_nb_selling.php?UID=610
It's $US1742($AU2430) with 1 gigram. I've never heard of the brand before. I think the x700 is better than the x1400 card, from what I've read. Anyone think otherwise? A computerstore salesperson tried to tell me that an x1400 is obviously better 'cos it's got 512MB but from what I've read that's not true.

Cordachine

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
LOL I have never heard of a x1400 on a lappy with 500mb RAM

BEWARE! Someone correct me, but I am about 99% sure of this!

smoodiver

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
hey killer do the computers on the site you directed me to come with operating systems? and does the price include shipping from the USA to Australia or do you add on extra for that? cheers

smoodiver

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I went to another computer store salesperson and told him my conflicting stories about the x700 vs. the x1400....he said the x1400 would be better for with new games, ones coming out now because it's got more something or rather(shaders?) but the x700 is better with older games. This guy was trying to sell me a computer with an x1400.
The original guy that said x1400 are way better than x700 and that it has 512mb on the x1400 was selling this computer http://www.notebooks.com.au/products_details.php?id=234

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That is my AU distributor, so that includes everything since he is right in your back yard. If you go to my site www.KillerNotebooks.com, the price would be in USD and I would have to add about $50 shipping to get it to you (t would include the AU power cord), but I am still WAY less than that system you linked to, and it will deliver better performance.

I used a 1.66 dual core Intel notebook today for an extended period of time, and I would put my KillerNotebook against it ANY DAY! It will slaughter it. I know, I know, I am probably going to hear about a million posts how I am wrong from people who haven't compared them, but they just under Intel's Core Duo VooDoo marketing spell.

The x700 is far better than the x1400, you can see a break down of noteook GPU's on my other notebook GPU post at Tom's. The "up to 512 MB hyper memory" is taking that right from your system memory... so if you are ever in a situation that your video card on your notebook needs 512 MB of video memory... believe me, it won't be available to allocate.

At todays exchange rates I can build you a system with 100 Gig 7,200 rpm hard drive, 2 Gig's of memory, 108 G+ wireless ship it to you and you would still save about $200 AD. I have built this sytem before and it is awesome that's all you can say about it. That's a price with some really nice upgrades... if you want the standard system with 80 gig 7,200 and 1 GIG 108 G+ wireless; it's more like $400AD less. Go with what they have... a 100 GIG 5,400 rpm hard drive, 1 GIG & 108 G+ (they have 54 g)... I am building it, shipping it overseas to you for $475AU LESS THAN THEIR PRICE for a FAR superior machine.

ander

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
KillerNotebooks > The dual core isn't going to do that much for gaming right now, as the software needs to be written to exploit dual core performance.
Not quite true. The dual cores take advantage of any software that runs multiple threads (parallel processes). See:

"Intel debuts Core Duo: dual-core processors come to laptops"
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-6410042.html

Most big apps and games are multithreaded. But even when they're not, a duo-core CPU is still an advantage, as the article explains:

"Since Windows XP itself is multithreaded, you don't necessarily have to be running multithreaded apps to see a performance gain. Windows is a multitasking environment, and as such, there are usually applications running in both the foreground, such as the browser you are using to read this, and the background, such as real-time virus scanning. A dual-core processor should execute the multiple threads of these applications more efficiently."

Cordachine > I really like the gateway NX560XL because of the dual processor and 667MHz Ram. However, it comes with a ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 128MB Graphics (up to 256MB HyperMemory). From my understanding, this is really a middle of the road GPU...
I bought a Gateway MX6708 a couple of weeks ago (which is what they call the NX560XL here in Canada). I did a lot of research first. I specifically wanted a 5400 RPM h/d (I've had enough pokey laptop drives!), a dual-core CPU, and a fast GPU.

The Gateway had those and was at least $100 less than comparable models of other brands. Most notebooks in this price range had considerably slower GPUs---e.g. Radeon X300, or even (shudder!) integrated graphics. ("But you get so much RAM now, shared memory is no big deal!" -- Manipulative and/or ignorant salesperson)

I think the Mobility Radeon X1400 is awesome. "Middle of the road?" All I know is, I've been running 3D games and they're sharp and fast as can be---I can't imagine why I'd need more graphics power. (But then I was used to a "measly" Radeon 9800 in our desktop, so maybe I'm easily impressed...)

I paid $1250 Canadian for my Gateway (about $1100 U.S.), and this was at a major big-box retailer--- so haggle, you guys! (If they say, "But we don't have discounts," point out some of the models on sale for $100-200 off, and ask them how they can possibly be making a profit on those!)

I heartily recommend the NX560XL/MX6708 to anyone who wants a good deal on a powerful notebook at an excellent price. I'm quite happy with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.