Buzzing from surround sound

ctforsythe

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I recently moved into my new house and I'm having problems with buzzing from my surround sound setup. None of my components are new, and I've used them together for several years.

I've got a Sony STR-DG820 receiver hooked up to a bluray, DVD and X-box 360. My speakers are Polk CS10 center, Polk T15 bookshelf, and satellites from Polk RM6750.

I've tried to source the buzz, but it's still present after all inputs are disconnected. I've moved power cords away from speaker cables as best I can, but it doesn't have an affect. It's not a cable tv ground loop because I don't have cable tv.

I'm at a loss for my next step.... Is it my receiver that's gone bad? The electrical wiring of the room? Is there something else I should be considering? Thanks for your input!

Is it possible to take the receiver somewhere else (family, friend, work) and test it away from your home?

See if the problem follows the receiver.....

I googled your model and added "buzzing".

Seems there are similar complaints but use "humming" versus "buzz".

Go online and do the same search. Look for those links that most closely match your situation and setup. See if you can narrow the problem down more.

ctforsythe

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

Since I can't take it anywhere else in the short-term, I tried plugging it in different outlets on other circuits. Same result. Googling the model did bring up some other ideas. Tried them with no luck. Even the Sony eSupport for this model didn't result in any improvement. So it's either the receiver or bad house wiring. Would buying a power filter help rule out bad electrical wiring of the outlets?

That is an option and could be worth a try.

There are many filters available with a wide range of specifications, quality, and pricing.

And more to be considered per this link:

https://www.tripplite.com/support/articles/articleid/commonpowerproblems

If it truly is a power/interference problem I would expect some variation in the buzz. Being constant makes the receiver suspect.

Therefore, I would think that the buzz continuing in different outlets and circuits would probably rule out bad electrical wiring. Especially if there was no change in the buzz with respect to the outlet or circuit being used. Any other electrical problems?

And it is very easy to check electrical outlet connections if you know how to do so and are comfortable doing so. Otherwise get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help. Or an electrician even if you suspect problems.

No harm in trying a power filter. Try to make a specific selection targeted to the "buzz" and your environment. Not just some off-the-shelf generic product that may not actually do anything for you.