Buzzing sound when earphones are connected

Quantonium

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I recently bought a new laptop from Multicom, a norwegian brand who imports and customizes Clevo laptops. It's pretty awesome!

However, after installing windows 10 and plugging in my earphones to the computer, there is a buzzing (shhhhhhhh) sound that's always there! It increases somewhat in volume when the computer is working harder, and also changes somewhat depending on what I do on the computer.

I've tried just running of battery, but it's still there. I have had some similar issues on another laptop when I connected it to a non-grounded outlet, but that was a different sound.. more "electrical".
It also seems to disappear for a split second when I do things that causes the computer to work a little.. like clicking "apply settings" in nvidia control panel (random example..).

Could this have something to do with the audio drivers? They were automatically installed by windows. I've checked the system specs and it seems like my sound card is a Soundblaster X-FI MB5, yet windows has installed Realtek drivers.. is that correct?

Solution
The Realtek Drivers should work.

NOTE: It is quiet normal for heaphones plugged into a computer, when not playing any kind of sounds, to have a static like sound on them.

Here are some things to try.

1. Make sure that the wires for your headphones do not come into contact with other wires going in and out of the computer. Anything it touches that can have any kind of electrical current can cause noise in the headphones.

2. Try a different headphone jack, if you have more than one.

3. Try a different set of headphones and see if they have the same sound problem.

4. Plug the headphones into a different device and see if you get the same sound issues. If so, it may be within the speakers themselves.issue.

5. Connect the...
The Realtek Drivers should work.

NOTE: It is quiet normal for heaphones plugged into a computer, when not playing any kind of sounds, to have a static like sound on them.

Here are some things to try.

1. Make sure that the wires for your headphones do not come into contact with other wires going in and out of the computer. Anything it touches that can have any kind of electrical current can cause noise in the headphones.

2. Try a different headphone jack, if you have more than one.

3. Try a different set of headphones and see if they have the same sound problem.

4. Plug the headphones into a different device and see if you get the same sound issues. If so, it may be within the speakers themselves.issue.

5. Connect the headphones through a USB connection (this will require an adapter for standard plug heaphones) and see if the problem goes away. If so, it may be the headphone jack on the laptop that is the

6. Upgrade your headphones. All recorded audio has a degree of noise or static; how obvious it is to the listener depends on the quality of the media it’s recorded on, the playback technology and the listening device. Replacing your headphones with a noise-reducing or noise-canceling set could clear up the problem.

7. Worst case, if the problem happens with multiple headphones, you may need to replace the sound card.

Solution

Quantonium

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for a good answer. I've tried all the things you're suggesting. It's definitely not the earphones, and it does happen with other earphones as well.

I think my best bet would be to get a usb-mini jack adapter as you talked about...

Still open to more suggestions if others have any! :)