Cable company wiring box: Should I disconnect unused coax connections?

tekwrite55

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015
We have a Charter wiring box on the house but no longer use their service. I am putting up a roof antenna which I assume I can connect its coax to one of the two connectors labeled "IN". The one connector has two connections and a larger ground connector to the ground wire. The other connector has about five female connections; one short wire connects the two IN connectors together.
I have 2 or 3 coax wires that are not being used-spare bedroom, unused connection in family room...should I disconnect them or cap off the female connection on the IN connector, or just leave as is? Just want to minimize the reduction in signal reception, if that makes sense.

http://

I would disconnect the unused cables. It probably won't affect the signal strength if there isn't a TV connected at the far end but it might act as a path for RF interference to enter your wiring. If the splitter that gives you 5 female connections is the wrong type it might not work with OVA RF. No harm in trying it.

I would disconnect the unused cables. It probably won't affect the signal strength if there isn't a TV connected at the far end but it might act as a path for RF interference to enter your wiring. If the splitter that gives you 5 female connections is the wrong type it might not work with OVA RF. No harm in trying it.

tekwrite55

Estimable
Nov 6, 2015

Thanks! That makes sense!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
KatTech Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
Michael hick Streaming Video & TVs 5
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
M Streaming Video & TVs 5
M Streaming Video & TVs 2