Cabling conundrum

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Hey all,

Quick question, that I'm sure someone has a 'duh' type answer to.

The conundrum is that I have a new HDTV that only accepts 5 plug component input but I want to play my old school NES on the new TV, which only has a 3 plug composite AV cord (red, white, yellow). Is there a way to convert the R/W/Y to a 5 plug composite (red, white, Y, Pb, Pr)?

dethsite2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
unfortunately you're stuck with rf connections with the nes, i've yet to see a component or composite for the 8 bit..

providing the multi av adapters haven't changed since the snes it might be possible to use the wii's or game cube component av kit on the snes via the cart dongles on the snes or n64..

either that or buy a wii and the wii's component av cables, and start doing a retro spend and download nes, snes, n64 and sega games on the wii

dethsite2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
no probs

actually i just joined up recently saw the forum in a slump, saw your post and posted a reply..

though the stuff I posted would be still current, assuming nintendo hasn't changed av output since the snes

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

There's a composite to component converters but the cost is really not worth it. A new TV with composite video input would likely a cheaper option.

Composite video is a base signal and therefore technically not RF. You need a modulator to convert the base signal to RF, If you can find the modulator that came with your NES then you can use that to connect NES to your TV as it's already been converted, all you need is connect to the antenna and chose the channel your modulator is set at, usually channel 3 or channel 4.

If you don't have the RF modulator you can purchase one at places like RadioShack and its way cheaper than composite to component converter/adapter at usual price.