California Considering Ads on Cars With E-Plates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dl100

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hey CALIFORNIA!!! Here's a novel idea to research, STOP SPENDING F---ING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE. That's how it works at my house of representatives.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Unbelievable. Well it sounds easy enough to deal with if it does pass, I'm sure i'll have it saying something crafty in no time. But I will say I will be DAMNED if I am going to help advertisers..

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? 500 years from now even your own clothing has ads on them
Don't know if you've noticed, but any piece of clothing with the company name on it is advertising using that piece of clothing.
It may look decorative, but it serves a double purpose.

Also in regards to the article: hur hur hur. Idiotic idea.
I would say "I'm glad I live in Australia" but it's more than likely our government will go "America's doing it so we should too!" and try implement it here too -_-'

G

Is the state going to pay for my battery replacement when I go on vacation and leave my car parked somewhere for a couple of weeks and my battery gets completely drained by my shiny new license plates?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
.... Its bad enough i hear that California has sky high vehicle registration prices, now they are selling out these things? LOL some states won't even allow you to have neon license plate frames due to them being (distracting).
Oh well, thats CA for ya, forcing every car in america to conform to their EPA rules while having little to no regard to other state rules like "obscure license plates, or road distractions"

hardwarejunkie

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Great! Hopefully they will have a commercial for Emergency Services on the E-plate that the driver is reading when they get into an accident. Add license plate viewing to the list of the drivers that are on their phones while smoking and having a bite to eat while driving.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ngom52[/nom]Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? 500 years from now even your own clothing has ads on them[/citation]

It wont take 500 years, 50 maybe.

G

I'm fine with this as long as it's with my consent and I get paid for it. However, since I do live in California, I think there are better ways to raise revenue. (Hint Hint) LEGALIZE POT!

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
This is actually a really good way to get people to ride bicycles and use public transport.

A terrible idea with an unexpected benefit.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
it wouldn't bother me, do what the hell you want as long as it doesn't affect how i get things done in my daily life..but this definitely is a bit controlling. if people don't want that crap on their car..well its their car, so i'd say don't allow it. Nothing bothers me much in this world but i'm always up for protecting others' rights.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]Screw that. I'd disconnect the network connection providing ads.[/citation]
and get arrested for damaging state property

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Oh great I can see it now...you get pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign when the cop notices you haven't stopped long enough for the ad to appear.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]Plenty of legitimate points here. The real questions is...whats going on Governator! $19 Billion?![/citation]
California is a liberal state, they spend spend spend on social programs whether they can afford them or not. Not long ago, they made the decision to extend social services to the illegals there also.

Gee, I wonder why they are 19 billion in the hole?

Back on topic, I find this idea to be VERY disturbing. The state should cut back its spending instead of trying to find new and outrageous sources of funding.

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
"Oh great I can see it now...you get pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign when the cop notices you haven't stopped long enough for the ad to appear."
epic.

Beyond the displaying offensive material that the driver may not want to be seen as advocating... [paranoid]What about privacy concerns? How are they updating and distributing the new ads? Would seem like it would either be via wifi checkpoints or a constant connection of some sort. Either way the government tracks my car enough with tollroads.[/paranoid]

epic fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS