Camara Turns On Alone

dasalvar

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
Hi, I know there are several post like this one in this forum, but I couldn't find a fix in them.

My webcam turns on alone, randomly while using it or right after booting and the laptop connects to internet. I own a Lenovo Y400.

How I suspect I got infected? I disabled Windows Smartscreen and the promt when you try to run a program as Admin. (I did for being lazy and push an extra key...). Then I tried to install a pirated version of Photoshop and a crack to CC (I'm a student and could afford the student version... Now I regret, I will pay for every software I use...)

I've ran Malwarebytes full scan in my PC. Even in safe-mode and nothing found. Also I downloaded BitDefender's Malware Removal, and Karpersky's one. Same... nothing found.

When I try to use the webcam on Skype or even the photo software on my PC it says there's no webcam connected/detected. It is weird because the webcam is built-in. I've never seen the (385boot) driver in the time I've owned the laptop.

camdriver.jpg

After all that I deleted the partitions on my hard drive. And did a Fresh Install of Windows 8.1 Pro. (I bought a licence for students thanks to my university). In the setup of Windows I formatted (or clicked the format options 3 times, just to make sure everything was erased).

When I was installing drivers, I couldn't install webcam drivers. Untill several tries and trying to remove the (385boot) one.

I installed BitDefender... blah blah... The webcam keeps turning on again alone...

What can I do? Should I wipe the HDD?

Gamerguy49

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
A rootkit is very difficult to detect. A couple of things you could try:
1) When the light comes on, disconnect from the internet and see if it stays on.
2) Put a band-aid over the camera when it comes on and see if it suddenly shuts off then.

These two steps can indicate if someone is using your webcam.

Also, this site has some good suggestions: http://www.columbiacomputercare.com/criminals-are-using-your-webcam-to-spy-on-you/

Good luck

dasalvar

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

I got a band-aid over the lens, letting see through for the LED. It turn of after 1 min it shuts down.

I even tried to run GMER 2.1, but it stops working during the scan.

Using DBAN to wipe the HDD could help?

TRENDING THREADS