Camera/Macro lens for high end diamond rings

Cameranewbie

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I'm looking to photograph high end diamond rings. I was told the best choice would be a DSLR camera with a macro lens. I'm looking for a recommendation. I have $1,500-$2,500 total to spend (but also need a tripod and light box and probably photo editing software within that budget).

The best jewelry I've ever seen photographed is at www.mwmjewelry.com. I would like to be able to compete with this work.

On a semi-unrelated note, if the camera has video capabilities and could record a loose diamond quite up close, that would be great.

Thanks for the assistance,
M

Stevek007

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
M-
You're going to have to rethink your budget it you're serious about shooting jewelry.
Either Canon or Nikon- but it really should be a full frame sensor. For Canon, the 100mm Macro L series is the top of the line lens.
A 2 strobe light set up minimum.
The reason you liked the mwm site is that he did not shoot in a light tent, but used black and white reflectors.
Good luck! You picked a really difficult thing to shoot.
You can reach me through my site: http://www.stevekoshlap.com
-S

After checking out B & H Photo, read some articles on Macro photography. At this point you can decide whether you want to enroll in a photography course(s) at your local community college.

Don't hesitate to experiment at various camera settings and different lighting. For jewelry, soft diffused lighting produces pleasant results (not a direct flash).

Also, keep in mind that you need to decide on the system; Nikon or Canon. My choice is Nikon.

Once you decide on Nikon, you can start out with a good DSLR and a wide angle zoom lens to keep your costs down. As you get more proficient in photography you can add a Macro (expensive) lens.

bobthemagicmoose

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
B&H has great selection, but I find Amazon to have better prices especially if you are ok with buying used (which you should).

Here's a start for lenses, they have an excellent lens search. You just want to make sure it is "macro." Once you think you know what you want, then search that lens and see if it gets good reviews and what the competition is.

You will definitely at least need two strobes/sources of light.

I'm not a pro at studio stuff, but here's how I would breakdown your budget: $900 on camera, $600-$1000 on lens, the rest on strobes/lights.

I think if you need to cut corners, I would do so on the camera body. I would also get comfortable with photoshop so that you can make up for a cheaper setup.

(photo.scottdrichards.com)