Cameron: 'Watching Avatar on iPhone is Dumb'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]realitycheck_18[/nom]If it's dumb then he's saying his story isn't worth watching, that he's just creating cool graphics.[/citation]
isnt that all it was? it was the farcry 2 of movies..a tech demo with thin story, 2d character personalities, and a plot as shallow as a paper plate.

so of course watching it on a small screen for the story is going to be a disappointment. there isnt that "ohh shiny!" factor to distract you from the fact there is no story worth watching.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Wow, who do you think you are - JC himself?!? Oh, wait, right...

Sorry, this is like the bottled water man sayin' the that tap water sucks - the only way to experience real water is from their tap, poured into a plastic bottle, and then cured with the chemicals leaching from the plastic into the water during all the time it sits on a shelf.

JC profits from ticket sales and, as has been mentioned, the now far too common practice of movie release, movie release with a toy surprise in the box (just like kids cereal - it still works!), extended movie release, special features movie release, director's cut movie release, director's cut movie release with toy, boxed extended director's cut with never before seen footage, the raw footage release, and then... its time for the 10th anniversary versions of the previous cycle (and 15th, and 25th, and so on).

Of COURSE he wants us only to see it in the theater, rather than get it on Netflix where I can stream it on my laptop connected to a projector rented for free from my school to a sheet hanging from my ceiling to make a 100" screen. Sure, not the best, but it gives me that old-school drive-in feel.

Now, for you videophiles, go ahead and pay $10-$15 per viewing in a theater with all those other annoying people and give him a fat check. Also, if you can afford a 80"+ HDTV in your own personal home theater, enjoy all that quality. For me, I don't care if I can see the sweat pool in Jack's pores before it drips down, I just want to see how the authors are going to tie in all the elements they created while showing LOST. (Something I only just started watching last summer when I was able to stream all the episodes online in all their poor standard-def quality...) I actually would rather watch something that had good dialog, good plot, and good acting than watch someone else's video game playing session or a non-stop music video (yes, I am pointing my finger at you Underworld). Visual eye candy is good and all, but give me a good documentary any day instead. Heck, better yet, give me both - I'll watch 'em and be entertained by them both.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Avatar is perhaps the best looking bad move of all time. It might have actually have been decent if Cameron had not thought it necessary to beat us over the head with his political bias. I endured it once, in the theater, but have no desire to subject myself to it again, on any size screen.

G

Watching movies on the iphone is dumb since the resolution is terrible. the only issue i take with cameron is on the laptop. you can now get bluray laptops that display full 1080p. Watching on that a foot in front of you should be the same as a big hdtv 4 feet away. the sound might not be as good but stereo headphones are not so bad. http://endlessjukebox.com?afid=261

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]I like how you abbreviated your internet nickname.[/citation]

Don't forget, he signs his comments like it is a formal letter.

I hate forum signatures and signing posts. Your username is right next to the content and signatures tend to just be a means to substitute a lack of peen for epeen with system specs, game stats, or some crappy cert that took a week to study for.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
well excuse me, Mr. Cameron for not having money like u and being able to push my couch around my ever so spacious apartment at a whim, OR to watch it on ym piss small TV...suddenly a laptop screen isn to looking to bad.

pft.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]So basically, screens 21" or above? I'd say any less than 42" is dumb.[/citation]

Meh, anything over 32" costs too damn much and I make good money. Though my walls are 10 feet apart in my living room...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation]Instead, the Blu-ray and DVD hitting the streets next month will feature nothing but the movie and accompanying menu, making full use of the discs' storage in order to achieve the highest quality.[/citation]

so does that mean it will have a 7.1 sound track????? it better with talk like that! especially as its BS! there would be a limit to the max peak bitrate in a stream, and for most movies that would leave only about 30GB of the 50GB disk full, so unless they have many audio options (like 7.1 :D) or make the movie a few hours longer, they aint gonna fill the whole disk.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
He doesn't want you watching it on a laptop because then you would realize how shitty of a movie it is. On your big screen you're mesmerized by the pretty pictures but on a laptop what the actors are saying and the actual plot will come into play. Cameron certainly doesn't want that. I can't stand watching any movie a screen the size of my iPhone but if you can do it, good for you.

I will end up buying this movie because it was visually stunning but Cameron can shove it up his ass. I'm actually glad that they are shipping the "first release" without any of the extra crap. I shouldn't have to pay full retail price for a movie that is already subsidized by 10 movie previews.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]stratplaya[/nom]Dear Mr. Cameron, no movie is too big or too epic to be seen on a lowly laptop, or even an iphone. The only think that is too big, apparently, is your ego.Sincerely,SP[/citation]
What does that have to do with an ego? It's common sense.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
wow. and still no one comments on the POOR quality of speakers included on the beloved iphone or even the bestest laptop eva.

does no one care about sound? lets not forget that blu-ray not only gives us the ability to watch 1080p HD but it also allows us to listen to true 5.1/7.1 surround sound.

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Correction: "Watching Avatar is dumb", and James Cameron isn't dumb his just an idiot. He really believes the story in that movie was as much of a work of art as the special effects. He is a lucky break hack. Smurfs 3: Gargamels revenge had a more convincing activist plot.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36042877/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

hmmm interesting to say the least. mr cameron talking about 3D on mobile devices not needing 3D glasses.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Obviously you have no idea like others what your talking about, another moron and jealous iphone hater. I have 2 screens and a alienware m17x with blu ray that cost more than you make in 3 months filmman03 so get over yourself![/citation]

HAHAHA, actually I have owned the 16gb iphone (the original) and went back to the blackberry for several reasons.

O and I really don't like to talk about my work, but I can't help this one lol I work in the film business, so just 1 month's check is probably what you make in 6 months time :) o and yes, i am going to E3 again this year for free: http://www.e3expo.com/attendee/101/attendee-registration/

you should try and get accepted lolz

good try though, just don't beat yourself up about it too hard okay.

o and saying you have an alienware w/ a blu-ray drive doesn't really prove much, considering my earlier post on this topic points out that i have a 55" LED HDTV from Samsung adding to that a PS3. O and can't forget my desktop w/ blu-rady burner ;)

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]What I recommend is getting the coffee table out of the way and sticking an exercise machine in front of the TV you lazy fat a*S, Americans..., present company included.[/citation]
What I recommend is you checking into my 12% body fat as I sit on my ripped ass muscles all day eating hotdogs and watching comedy central while we make fun of the europeans for their poor hygiene.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Cameron is just afraid everyone will see the movie without the impressive visual effects and suddenly realize its a clichéd and poorly acted story full of stolen plot points and a pretentious narrative.

if a movie needs a large screen to be apreciated, then perhaps the only thing worth seeing are thew visual effects. i am a huge fan of camerons older work, but the direction of his latest movie was half-assed at best. he's jsut afraid that people will catch on.

G

Well I must be missing out on something then. I watched Avatar on a 0" screen. Do you think I missed out on anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.