Solved! Can’t get surround sound working from smart tv

Nov 22, 2018
I have a Sony XBR-55X700D, and am trying to connect to Yamaha HTR-5640 for surround sound. I attempted using Musou 1080P HDMI Audio Extractor HDMI to HDMI + Optical Toslink(SPDIF) + RCA(L/R) Stereo Analog Outputs Video Audio Splitter Converter, using an HDMI cable from the HDMI 3/ARC port, to converter, to Roku and receiver, but am not getting sound to rear speakers. TV setting is on speakers/tv, clear audio - off, sound mode - standard, and surround - auto. Any help appreciated

1.That converter has a 2/5.1 switch on it so if it's set wrong your receiver gets a stereo input.
2. You don't need any converter. Connect the optical audio output of the TV to the receiver. Check the TV manual on how to use it. You may need to turn it on and the TV speakers off. The TV should be set to output in bitstream 5.1.
3. Make sure that the receiver surround mode is set to Dolby. If you set it to auto you usually get stereo on stereo sources.If you set it to Dolby you get Dolby Prologic which derives surround sound from stereo inputs.
4. Make sure the Roku audio menu is set to output surround sound.
5. Make sure that the channel and content are in surround sound.

When people say "no sound on rears" it tells me you are playing a STEREO source. If you want a stereo source to play on ALL speakers u must tell your receiver to use a special codec (mode), and different vendors have different name for it.

If the source is surround, the conversion is not working, for some reason.

1.That converter has a 2/5.1 switch on it so if it's set wrong your receiver gets a stereo input.
2. You don't need any converter. Connect the optical audio output of the TV to the receiver. Check the TV manual on how to use it. You may need to turn it on and the TV speakers off. The TV should be set to output in bitstream 5.1.
3. Make sure that the receiver surround mode is set to Dolby. If you set it to auto you usually get stereo on stereo sources.If you set it to Dolby you get Dolby Prologic which derives surround sound from stereo inputs.
4. Make sure the Roku audio menu is set to output surround sound.
5. Make sure that the channel and content are in surround sound.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
Y Streaming Video & TVs 3
S Streaming Video & TVs 16
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 2
K Streaming Video & TVs 5
I Streaming Video & TVs 1