Solved! Can a novice upgrade RAM to 4gb?

minni

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Hi, I've been eyeing various refurbished dual-core laptops, hoping to buy one, but most of them only have 2gb memory.

I also noticed that they require maneuvering and lifting the keyboard in order to upgrade to 4gb memory. I viewed several video's which i couldn't grasp.

I wish to avoid anything more powerful than dual-core + 1.8ghz, but I do want more than 2gb RAM. Are there no duo-core laptop model wherein even people with two left thumbs need not be nervous to upgrade RAM? Thanks.

Solution
Typically Yes, however the BUT..... laptops are differen't animals. First make sure you know how many slots are available, the type of ram that is compatible and the MAXIMUM Ram your system is capable of supporting. Second, make sure you know how to access the ram from your laptop. I have worked with many laptops over the years and some are easy to upgrade the ram while others require you to remove the keyboard or whatever which can be a little more difficult. Just make sure you know what your doing before you spend your money. Make sure you have done your homework.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Typically Yes, however the BUT..... laptops are differen't animals. First make sure you know how many slots are available, the type of ram that is compatible and the MAXIMUM Ram your system is capable of supporting. Second, make sure you know how to access the ram from your laptop. I have worked with many laptops over the years and some are easy to upgrade the ram while others require you to remove the keyboard or whatever which can be a little more difficult. Just make sure you know what your doing before you spend your money. Make sure you have done your homework.

Solution

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

It really depends on the laptop how hard or easy it is. That's why you first need to know if they laptop can even have it's ram ugpraded, how that one opens,...

This will make your life much easier as replacing the actual ram is as easy as just removing the old stick by moving 2 clips aside and then inserting the new one and pushing it down.

Also why does it have to be dual core and not above 1.8? Any reason for it as that is really odd.