Can a programmer work for abroad company from home country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soselia

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
i live in second world country and programmers have pretty low income here. about 500 (1000 in very good case) usd a month. i don t want to live my country, so if one is good at programming are there vacancies in any companies that allow working from abroad and pay better than this? (do any top international companies have these kind of offerings)? i wouldn t expect the pay to be as high as in the companies home countries but you must agree that income here is really low for a pretty complicated job

Solution
What your asking for i dont think will ever happen. If people could get American pay and get third world cost of living, Americans would be leaving America in mass. I think your best bet would be to try to get a work visa, but that would require you to move to America.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Generally no.

Most companies that use foreign workers do so through two different methods.

1. They establish a foreign subsidiary and hire local workers through that company. For example, an American software firm may establish an Indian subsidiary to hire Indian employees. This foreign subsidiary would pay local employees at the local rate.

2. They hire foreign employees under contract. These employees typically work for a small local firm and handle outsourced one-off projects. The contractor is responsible for providing their own equipment, is responsible for following all local labour and safety laws, and is responsible for paying all appropriate taxes.

It is much more rare for a company to go through the steps needed to sponsor a visa for someone to become a foreign national and obtain working rights in the host country (usually through an H1B visa in the USA). This has a lot more overhead involved and often requires the sponsor to demonstrate cause for hiring a foreigner over a national or citizen.

It is almost unheard of for a large company to formally hire (not under contract) employees in other countries without having an established legal presence there (see #1).

Soselia

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

i don't think i agree with there being no other reason other than getting cheaper employ. f.e if one was noticeably better than other candidates that are at that moment available for that job wouldn't company profit if hiring him cost both same or less money?

i'd accept much lower pay but programming for 500-1000 range is just not enough for the effort, especially considering that equipment costs twice as much here

Soselia

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

no, there is small chance for that next decade we aren't lsited in most company's free registration pages and therefore i wouldn't expect them opening foreign subsidiary s.
i can actually go to work in leading European countries, but i'd prefer not to because i love my country.
i thought about programming since physical presence isn't vital and software and hardware are shared across the globe(unlike f.e medical and scientific equipment level of which depends on the country generally), but i guess its limited too.

BustaRhymes

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
What your asking for i dont think will ever happen. If people could get American pay and get third world cost of living, Americans would be leaving America in mass. I think your best bet would be to try to get a work visa, but that would require you to move to America.

Solution

Soselia

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

well, i do see your point. but
1) the us pay is about 10 times bigger than local one. it's sad that they wouldn't be willing to pay 2-3 times less.
2) no even though cost of living is oc lower its not that low. other professions in my country do get paid well like teachers (40k a year) doctors (60k), economists, lawyers and so on.
programmers just get paid less because computer technology need of companies is very basic and no technology or program developer companies exist.
500-1000 pay means that programmer has a room where he proves the point that working on computer might help you last without food longer. (also as i have mentioned everything except for food costs twice as much here compared to the usa) so i wouldn't expect people to flee usa to work in worse conditions, foreign society, get less pay just to pay less for monthly fees.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Professionals also spend a substantial amount of time in school.

3 years pre-law plus 3 year law degree for a lawyer

4 years pre-med plus 4 years med school plus residency and specialization for most doctors

4 year plus teachers college for a public school teacher

4 years for an engineering degree plus 4 years practice for a professional licence for engineers

and so on.

These positions pay well because they are in demand world wide. Having a professional degree makes it much, much easier to obtain a work permit and move to another country (brain drain) so the local rate in a developing country is a fair bit closer to that of most developed countries.

Programmers are simply not in demand, they are a dime a dozen even in North America. Rather, the positions that are in demand are engineering jobs that are held by individuals with degrees in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or electrical engineering.

If you want to be more successful as a programmer without moving you'll have to freelance.

Soselia

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

one actually has to study again for medical degree if he moves to another country even if he had degree in 3rd world country. as for teachers they have about 120$ official salary after becoming professionals, they just get other money by acting as tutors. software engineers who have a degree are in the same position here as programmers because as i have mentioned before computer technology need of companies is very basic and no technology or program developer companies exist here.
you say programmers aren't in demand. ok but what about engineers who after tons of studying get paid slightly more than programmers. what can a good engineer do?

Status
Not open for further replies.