Buying Laptop for son doing B.Tech in CA (Programming)

rohitshakti

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hi friends
My son is doing B.Tech in Computer Application. Pls suggest me one new or old or open piece laptop which I can buy in California upto $400 max. I don't want SSD only HDD as it would be cheaper. But I do need good battery life and a 8th Generation processor.

What are refurnished laptops and are they reliable?

Does any co gives international warranty too on laptops?

No idea about rest of the configuration as I HV not purchased any laptop till now but it should be such that it should be sufficient for next 4-5 years during his study in programming.

1. What is your budget - Max $400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering - 14 - 16 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want - Preferably Full HD

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop - Add on laptop

5. How much battery life do you need - It should be good to work on for 7-8 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High) - Medium or low

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) - Programming, Algorithm Analysis & Design Lab, data structure, Computer Graphics, computer networking etc (Course curriculum of B.Tech Computer Science)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need - 1TB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links - NIL

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop - 5 yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc - DVD RW

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons - Any brand with international warranty (India) else others companies without warranty will also work.

13. What country do you live in - India

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. - Prefer with M.2 port

Regards

Lutfij

Splendid
Hi there!

Refurbished units are often models that are on the show floor/shop floor models which get minor scratches or dents and are sold for less. Often times they are also recalled units that were repaired from the factory. Simple answer it's left out there and are cheaper since there are minor issues with them. SO minor that the regular Joe might not even understand it.

I live in Bangladesh and I know for a fact that the APAC region gets a fair share of Asus, Acer, Lenovo, Dell and HP laptop's. What's stopping you from buying from your own country? You get warranty support out of the box from your local retailer.

IMHO, this is the laptop you should purchase for your son. It'll last him a good 4-5 years. Given how you're asking for a laptop that essentially serves as a desktop replacement and it also allows your son be as mobile as possible, he can look forward to using it well into his graduation and when he will want to do some freelance/odd jobs to help save some money for his higher studies/family.

The way I see it, you invest once and leave it be. if you skimp too much you end up buying more than once. If you pulled up all your receipts, you'll see that the cheaper route always cost the most.

rohitshakti

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for the early reply.

I am buying the laptop from USA because they are almost 30-40% cheaper as compared to India and quality is better in US too.

The links given by me has almost same features which your lappy has but it is costing me $370 or so which is nearly 1/2 the cost and with almost same features.