Can a scam website infect your computer with virus, the moment you entered it?

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Hey guys, I accidentally typed in the URL a false address of the original website which was a scam unfortunately! The moment it loaded, the Web of Trust app came up with a warning that it is highly dangerous, with scam, malware or viruses and child safety! I close the tab without clicking anywhere once i entered, but I am worried if I caught any sort of virus, since I know that for example goggle used to infect with the worst viruses once you entered their website! How would I know? If you require the website to study it for your selves and you have the skills, I can share it with you!

Solution
WoT stop you before entering the website, so you had 0 contact with the website itself. WoT warning are base on users reviews base on their experience on the website. For Malwarebytes, those PuP likely came from a download you did 10 days ago. PuP are not harmful but are annoying and should be remove. Malwarebytes are very strict in blacklisting companies that bundle their ad/spywares with programs recommending you to remove them. They are easily to catch when you don't download from the program official website, and sometime official program bundle crapware too.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Hope so! Web of Trust showed me this the moment i entered the site http://imgur.com/DLfoon5
And I haven't clicked anything, just closed the tab! Does that app prevent me from entering, therefore no virus?

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Turns out, after studying the files it showed as PUP, there were there far before the moment i entered the site... I don't see any file anywhere that could be dangerous, or installed today!

aford10

Distinguished
Malwarebytes is a great tool to find potential issues. Yes, delete those PUPs. As good as Malwarebytes is, it is always good to run more than one tool to make sure you've found everything. You should run combofix to verify that potential threats have been removed.

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Ok, great! But let me ask you, since those files had a date 10 days before the event of the bad website, does that mean the website didn't throw any virus at my computer?

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
WoT stop you before entering the website, so you had 0 contact with the website itself. WoT warning are base on users reviews base on their experience on the website. For Malwarebytes, those PuP likely came from a download you did 10 days ago. PuP are not harmful but are annoying and should be remove. Malwarebytes are very strict in blacklisting companies that bundle their ad/spywares with programs recommending you to remove them. They are easily to catch when you don't download from the program official website, and sometime official program bundle crapware too.

Solution

Ragnarous

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

This is actually 1000% true... First of all those PUP's came from a legit official website! I tested every possible program and it found the same PUP's when i uninstall and re-installed that program I had suspicions of! It was to my amaze because i DID download it from the official website! And for WOT, as it turns out, indeed I had 0 contact with the website after searching how WOT works, but everyone wasn't answering to that which I had asked for! (IF WOT prevents me from entering!) I was stunned by your answer, and thank you very much because you just bullseye'd all my results of tests!

undouble

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Not necessarily------------these sites are VICIOUS!!! Your best recourse is to almost immediately run whichever anti-virus/anti-malware program you have installed to verify that your system is still "clean". Malwarebytes is good for the latter, your specific anti-virus should work for the former.