Can a site/browser page opened in Chrome or any browser read info about the apps running on your PC ?

asot

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Hi Everyone!

First of all, Happy new year! (I know it's been 2 weeks already, but first post for this year).

I'm currently faced with a dilemma, which I can't get out of my head and I'm really hoping someone can clarify this.

If I access a website, using Google Chrome, or whatever other browser, would that site be able to read information from my PC without me knowing? Like for example what programs are currently running in the background, any new apps that I'm opening, etc? It sounds a bit far fetched, as it would be a mega security breach, especially if your AV/Firewall doesn't tell you anything either.

Hoping someone can help me out :)

Thanks!

Solution
Normally there will be a prompt. If your computer is set up so that you are using a non-Administrator account, and/or have UAC set up sufficiently tightly, you'll need to give permission and/or provide Administrator credentials to allow an ActiveX control to load and run.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Ordinarily, no, unless the site is able to load/run some ActiveX control for that purpose. Consider how many sites (e.g. AMD, Logitech, etc) ask your permission to load software that will scan your system to determine the correct driver to download.

asot

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Hi Onus,

Thanks for your reply! So I get it that normally you will be prompted before that happens. Just in case you don't, will a firewall block any component installs ?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Normally there will be a prompt. If your computer is set up so that you are using a non-Administrator account, and/or have UAC set up sufficiently tightly, you'll need to give permission and/or provide Administrator credentials to allow an ActiveX control to load and run.

Solution

asot

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Great, thanks for your help, Onus! :)