Can HDMI cause TV power supply problems?

gtw206

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

This is kind of a TV and Computer question.
The Intro : I have a Panasonic ST50. I also have a kind of old Toshiba Satellite L875. The screen on my Toshiba occasionally goes out because it is actually broken pretty badly on the left side so I use an HDMI to see whats on my screen (funds are low for another laptop :/)

The Situation: Recently, I used an HDMI for the laptop to connect to the TV (the tv uses a receiver which I have to plug my HDMI into to get access to the TV.) The TV and receiver were powered off and I turned on my laptop first and proceeded to plug the HDMI into the receiver. Next, I powered on the TV and receiver. About 30 minutes later, I notice that the TV goes black and won't power back on.

The Question: Basically, I'm wondering what could have caused it. Could it have been my laptop sending a surge to the TV because of it being damaged? Or could it have been something else?

I read that an HDMI cable could possibly cause this.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Did you try the receiver on another TV and source to make sure it's OK?
It's more likely that if your laptop threw a surge into the receiver and TV HDMI Inputs that it would have taken out the HDMI inputs board on the receiver and or TV. I have seen this happen but not with a PC. The TV would not be completely dead if the HDMI inputs were fried.
Did you try the receiver on another TV and source to make sure it's OK?
Power supply failure is probably the most common failure mode on TVs.

gtw206

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015

Thank you for replying. The receiver works on another TV just fine. I just am not sure if a damaged laptop could in fact do this over an HDMI connection through a receiver. The technician told me that it usually fries the digital board in this case (which costs much more), but it only fried the power supply.

gtw206

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015

*** Update ***

Hi,

I have just received word that replacing the power supply did not fix the issue. They will now try replacing the HDMI board next to see if that works. I am still curious about the laptop being the culprit in this situation.