Can I add a SSD to an Acer 8943G

Langkawi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Hi,

I have an Acer 8943G laptop with an i7 CPU. The laptop came with a 640GB HDD but it's only a 5400RPM one so I'm concerned this is the weakest link.

I'm therefore wondering if adding an SSD (and moving Windows 7 and the system software onto it) would make a noticable difference to speed and performance. Essentially using the HDD as large storage for music & media files and putting all the software onto the SSD.

Question 1. Does the Acer support adding a SSD?

Question 2. Would this make a real difference to the performance of the lappy?

Cheers,
Alan

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

1. Yeah, the laptop should definitely support adding a SSD... it'll just see it like any other regular hard drive.

2. You should see a very noticeable difference in your computer's boot-up time, as well as the start-up time for the software installed on the SSD. Beyond that, the performance you gain is dependent on the task at hand: graphics intensive games (like Crysis) on the SSD may be somewhat faster due to faster texture loads from the SSD, but i doubt you'll get higher FPS for things like SC2. It might also help if you do something memory hungry that eats all your RAM... but at that point, the super-slowness of the SSD probably wont seem that different from the Super-super-slowness of the HDD.