Can i buy the same 2.1 speakers and make it 5.1, and what sound card should i get?

Jglass0316

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
So I am kind of in a strange situation...

Being the audiophile I am, I always want the best possible sound. I currently own the Genius SW-G2.1 2000 as my speaker set up. I love these speakers and their quality, but i was curious if I could step up my game by buying another set, and get a 5.1 soundcard to emulate 5.1 surround with 2 sets of 2.1. Is that possible? I'm not really sure with that set of speakers.

Also, I currently have the Hyperx Cloud II as my main gaming headset. I also love the audio quality on those and the soundcard provided, but would I get any better sound quality if I went with buying an additional soundcard? And if I did, is the soundblaster zx good for the job, or should I go for the best and get the soundblaster zxr? I'm not entirely sure what the actual benefit of the zxr is, over the zx.

Sorry for all the questions, but I just have so many to ask lol

Thanks

Solution
I would likely say no given that the system is designed to be 2.1 rather than a true 5.1 even with the use of a sound card rather than using the onboard. You'd be better off to just go with a dedicated 5.1 setup to be honest.

I'm not going to get into much depth about the whole sound card thing even though it's been shown fairly conclusively, by this very site, that there is next to no difference between a dedicated card over using onboard multichannel. But, alas, if you want to use a card and feel it to sound better, that's your choice. What you're getting is a bit of amplification and perhaps a wee bit higher S/N ratio by using a dedicated card. That's it. Your sound reproduction gear, namely your headset and speakers, are what...

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I would likely say no given that the system is designed to be 2.1 rather than a true 5.1 even with the use of a sound card rather than using the onboard. You'd be better off to just go with a dedicated 5.1 setup to be honest.

I'm not going to get into much depth about the whole sound card thing even though it's been shown fairly conclusively, by this very site, that there is next to no difference between a dedicated card over using onboard multichannel. But, alas, if you want to use a card and feel it to sound better, that's your choice. What you're getting is a bit of amplification and perhaps a wee bit higher S/N ratio by using a dedicated card. That's it. Your sound reproduction gear, namely your headset and speakers, are what matter most.

Here's a link for comparison from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=57%7C29%2D102%2D050%5E29%2D102%2D050%2C29%2D102%2D049%5E29%2D102%2D049

Solution