Solved! Can i change a receiver from 7.1 to 6.1?

Solution
You can always use a receiver with fewer than the maximum channels it can support. When the receiver is set up (manually or automatically) it is set for the number of channels. In the case of 6.1 you would have three front channels, two surround channels, and one surround back channel.
If you get a 5.1 channel receiver you won't be able to add additional amplifiers & speakers unless it has line level outputs for those channels.
I don't see any advantage to getting the 5.2 Onkyo over the 7.2 one. The 5.2 is less power although not enough to really matter. Price is the same. The Sony is rated more power but the power specs on these receivers aren't really accurate.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Every receiver has a way to turn off certain channels, sometimes automatically if not detected through self-calibration. However, if you're looking to re-direct the sound from speakers 6/7 into a centralized 6th speaker I'm not sure it can do that. I know if the central speaker is missing, then dialogue will get redirected to L/R, but not sure sure if surround sound works the same. You may need to pair down to 5.1 to maintain symmetry in your surrounds.

You can always use a receiver with fewer than the maximum channels it can support. When the receiver is set up (manually or automatically) it is set for the number of channels. In the case of 6.1 you would have three front channels, two surround channels, and one surround back channel.
If you get a 5.1 channel receiver you won't be able to add additional amplifiers & speakers unless it has line level outputs for those channels.
I don't see any advantage to getting the 5.2 Onkyo over the 7.2 one. The 5.2 is less power although not enough to really matter. Price is the same. The Sony is rated more power but the power specs on these receivers aren't really accurate.

Solution