Can I egpu?

amskhan

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Hey, I'm trying to add an egpu to my laptop. I do have a working psu that clocks in a 260 and one that clocks in at 450 watts from old rigs. I was wondering if My dell Inspiron 15 7000 series could be adjusted for an egpu. My laptop has this in the slot right now: http://www.amazon.com/HP-RTL8188CE-W...s=realtek+card
and I have this Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15 (7537) 7000 Series – Wireless WLAN Card Removal and Installation
Would it be possible to rig an egpu to my laptop? I wouldn't mind cutting a small whole in the back of my laptop if needed.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
You'd need to buy an external graphics card enclosure and connect it to the laptop through mini PCIe slots (as many as the laptop has available, the more the better). This is pretty expensive and can be problematic.

k1114

Distinguished
Your link doesn't work but not needed anyways. As long as you have mpcie and you can get to it easy enough. You don't need to cut a hole as the bottom comes off easy enough. Just leave it off. You don't need a gpu enclosure. You should use a psu with pcie cables so the 260w won't have that. Your laptop is pretty new and already has a 750m? Egpus are typically not worth the cost. The mpcie will bottleneck as well as the low clocked cpu.

amskhan

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

k1114

Distinguished
Graphics cards are typically x16 so wouldn't fit that. It's also m.2 and wouldn't fit the mpcie slot. The key is different. You probably also don't want to try to rig up something so the graphics card fits under your laptop.