Can i find stolen laptop with IP address or serial number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

likunsio

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
Can i find the laptop with IP adress or serial number? I created an account on the company page. There i saw different IP addresses. I'm not sure if these addresses are from my laptop. Any suggestions?

Solution
I'm sorry but unless you installed tracking software before it was stolen there isn't much that you can do. Report it to the police, maybe check some local pawn shops. The IP address will do nothing to help find the computer.
It is worth a try even though it is extremely difficult. However, there are programs that can be installed before the item is lost/stolen and these may help. File a police complaint in order to be able to make insurance claims if possible.

OriginalCadaver

Estimable
May 24, 2014
Are you saying that you are missing the laptop, but that you registered it with some company site based on the serial number, and when you go the site and search on the serial number it gives you the IP that the laptop is being used from?

If that's the case your company has some software already installed that is tracking where the laptop is being used from. You can do a whois on the IP address and get a general idea of what ISP it's being accessed from and a general location.

das_stig

Distinguished
If your company is tracking when the laptop connects and records it's IP, then as he said above, you can check which ISP is associated with the IP.

If your IT department or police then ask the ISP to check their records of what modem/router was allocated the IP at that time, they may be able to match it to a customer.

Fatima Sharw

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014

My Laptop is stolen To and I just have my IP adress
How i can Find it

OriginalCadaver

Estimable
May 24, 2014
I'm sorry but unless you installed tracking software before it was stolen there isn't much that you can do. Report it to the police, maybe check some local pawn shops. The IP address will do nothing to help find the computer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.