Can I load games onto a phone from my computer?

GayleO

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,
I currently have a smart phone with an unlimited data plan. I've found that the only things I use are the phone, texting and I love "Angry Birds" when I'm stuck somewhere waiting. Is there a plan and phone that will give me only that? I could download a game or two from my computer via a cable onto my phone. If there isn't a phone that will do this - then one of you guys needs to build one and sell it to the major phone companies. I'm tired of being forced to have services I don't need or want.

Tomshardware is an IT news site and public forum. This site does not manufacture anything.

If you want a smartphone then you need to buy a data plan which is part of the package. You can probably avoid the data if you buy your phone at full retail price instead of the discounted price with a 2 year service plan. Buying the phone alone will be expensive though. For example, a Droid 4 with a 2 year contract is $199. Purchasing the phone at full retail price to avoid paying for a data plan will set you back $549.

You might want to switch over to Boost or Virgin Mobile. There is no contract and the monthly prices are generally less expensive than AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. The drawback is that the phones are "less advanced" and there's a smaller selection. I do not believe Virgin Mobile have any dual core CPU phones for example. Boost probably does, but the screens are rather small the last time I checked.