Can i overclocking dell inspiron n5010?

AntiZig

Distinguished
well first off, your motherboard bios is probably locked and unless you can get dell to give you an unlock, you won't be able to do much.

second, overclocking is not recommended with stock cooling system, you need to get something aftermarket that's better

ankinferno

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Hi,, it is Possible to OC A laptop Graphics Card. . I'm having a Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010)

Default config :

Intel Core i5-480M (2.666.7 Mhz ~ 2.6 Ghz)

Intel HM57 (IbexPeak-M DH) - MotherBoard

RAM : Samsung (M471B5773CHS-CH9) 4GB (2x2Gb) - 533.1 Mhz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v (M96) - 1Gb - Core speed 450Mhz / Mem Speed - 600 Mhz

But I have Tweaked all most all the Hardware settings to current Config :

Intel Core i5-480M ~ 2.6 Ghz -> Now Turbo boosted to 2.9 Ghz

RAM : Samsung (M471B5773CHS-CH9) 4GB (2x2Gb) - 533.1 Mhz -> Reduces the Latency as much as possible with stability

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v (M96) - 1Gb - -> current speed Core speed 650Mhz / Mem Speed - 796.1 Mhz

________________________________________________________________________________________

And you wont blve it . . on the Default Config the Windows Assessment Score was 5.4 , , and After all the Tweakings its now 6.5 . . :)

k .. so Here's wht i Did..

1.) First For the Graphics Card:

Downloaded :

1.) AMD Catalyst 12.2 Preview Driver
(http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.2-Preview-Driver-download-2848.html)

2.) RivaTuner, GPU-Z,

(available at 3dguru.com)

Install the AMD Catalyst 12.2 Preview Driver...

Install the "RivaTuner" but don't open the programm.

Now open the "GPU-Z" and watch the Device ID you have.

Go to C:\Program Files\RivaTuner v2.24

search the file RivaTuner.cfg and open with Notepad.

search "[GPU_1002]". you will see ATI chipset numbers and IDs.

For ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 search RV710 and add the Device ID + h. something like this ( ,XXXXh)

For ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650/HD4670 search RV730 and add the Device ID + h. something like this ( ,XXXXh)

Now save the file on Desktop RivaTuner.cfg

Remove the RivaTuner.cfg from the Rivatuner folder and then paste the new file from your Desktop to the RivaTuner folder

Lunch the Rivatuner.exe

Now you can see you videocard in the window

Click on it and choose the videocard picture

Now click on "Enable low-lavel hardware overclocking"

I recommend for ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 HD: Core clock=650MHz / Memory clock=796MHz for stability of your system

Now click on "Apply overclocking at Windows stratup"

Click on "Restore clock frequencies after suspended mode"

Click "Apply" then "Ok"

Go to "GPU-Z" and watch your Core clock&Memory clock.

ENJOY :)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

And for higher Performance ... Tweak the RAM timings :

Downloaded :

1.) CPUTweaker v 1.5

(http://www.tweakers.fr/cputweaker.html)

Extract the CPUtweaker folder,,

Open Cpu Tweaker

and change the timings carefully...

According to my RAM i gve these values :

-> RAM Timmings I modified using CPU-Tweaker 1.5 (Dell Inspiron 15R N5010)

trcd-r - 6

trp - 5

tras - 8

Sub timmings Down :

trcd-w -6

trfc - 64

trrd - 1

Twtp - 13

trtp -1

tref - 2080T

All Precharge to Active - 6

All Precharge to Refresh -6

Precharge to Precharge D - 0

Refresh to Refresh D - 64

Trd - 6

mch ODT Read Command - 0

Dram ODT Write Command - 0

Dram ODT Read Command - 0

After this click on Apply . . .

NOTE: I 'm having one problem in this tht is,,, CPUTweaker is not setting my defined timings at window Startup.. i have to apply these time manually every time window starts up . . rest,,, my system is working absolutely fine...

________________________________________________________________________________________

And the last Tweak,, I enabled Intel SpeedStep from the BIOS,, and Installed the Intel TurboBoost Driver.

and then went to the advanced power Options and changed the 'Min Processor State' under the ' Processor Power Management' to 100% for Plugged In mode

and changed the ' Max Processor State ' under the same menu to 99% to both Battery and Plugged In modes...

___xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_______________xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx________________

That is it.... then my Windows Assignmet Score went up from 5.4 to a whooping 6.5 . . ;)

For further Benching I have used 4 Games to keep an eye on the Performance, Lagging, and FPS:

# All games have been tested at Default Graphics Settings of the Games, , Only the Resolution was Max i.e 1366x768

Games Used _________________ Initial FPS ___________ Tweaked Settings FPS

FEAR 3 78 126

NFS Hot Pursuit 2011 58 93

SSF4 AE 65 96

Battle Field 3 (2011) 39 69

So.. Iguess... changing the Graphics options for individual games will even give a much more high FPS . . :)

k...

Hope u Like my Post..

~~ Ankinferno

Hi :)

Ok so you overclocked it...and what PRECISELY did you do to cope with the overheating you are causing by overclocking ?

Or are you just waiting for the palstic to melt into the CPU...

And turning the fan on permanently will NOT be enough...

The reason I ask is that I am fed up with melted laptops in my Laptop repair company when kids overclocked a lappy and melted out the board, or CPU etc etc...

Then I have to tell them or their parents they have a piece of junk left, fit only for the bin....

All the best Brett :)

ankinferno

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Hi there Bro...

You r right temps are really higher thn the limit should be... but i have Also kept a record on the GPU core temperatures... and to my amazement the highest temp was recorded during playing Battle Field 3 and Crysis 2 . . which was 98 deg C.. :sarcastic:

I guess tht is not too high... as i have heard temperatures going above 101 deg C...,, :kaola:

moreover... i always take measures to keep the laptop cool... like changing the core speed/ mem speed to low modes whn not playing... or by adjusting the speeds according to the games... and using an under cooler....

So.. i hope other users also use these with caution... :sol:

Hi :)

98C is suicidal for a laptop.....do me a favour and keep a Fire Extinguisher beside it...you ARE going to need it....

All the best Brett :)

TRENDING THREADS