Can I replace 500 Gb HDD with 1Tb?

edthatcher

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Hi,
Laptop : HP 14 Notebook PC 14-r047TU
Specifications : Intel Celeron N2830 ; 2Gb RAM; 500Gb HDD; Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently the Hard drive failed and needs to be replaced. I want to replace it with a 1TB HDD. ( To have more storage space) Is this Okay ? Will this cause any issues , because of the low end Celeron processor, and only 2Gb RAM. Its my Moms laptop, and her usage needs are low-intensity. Like normal browsing, watching movies , youtube etc.
Will I have to also upgrade my RAM to 4Gb?

Thank You in advance.

Solution
Hi Ed,

storage size has nothing to do with your CPU and the size of physical memory. :)

You can replace your 500GB HDD with any size of drive you wish.
If your budget permits it, consider a Solid State Drive (SSD). That will improve performance significantly, much more so than an additional 2GB of RAM.

Whatever type of storage (SSD or HDD) you choose, as long as it physically fits into your laptop, there are no limits to its size. 1TB is no problem at all.

Cheers,
Gaius

gaius_iulius

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Hi Ed,

storage size has nothing to do with your CPU and the size of physical memory. :)

You can replace your 500GB HDD with any size of drive you wish.
If your budget permits it, consider a Solid State Drive (SSD). That will improve performance significantly, much more so than an additional 2GB of RAM.

Whatever type of storage (SSD or HDD) you choose, as long as it physically fits into your laptop, there are no limits to its size. 1TB is no problem at all.

Cheers,
Gaius

Solution