Solved! Can I replace Aptio 4 BIOS with Aptio V?

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I have a touch screen tablet with AMI Aptio 4 BIOS which has no touch screen support.

I'd like to replace it with AMI's Aptio V BIOS which does. Would this even work? There is nothing to indicate the installed BIOS was customized specifically for this computer.

The tablet is a discontinued "BestBuy" Win-10 unit with no BIOS updates for download and minimal support (and out of warranty.)

Solution
So, if you've disabled USB interface, you've cut all means to communicate with it. Even if you were able to find an original (or replacement) BIOS, you won't be able to boot off USB in order to update the BIOS...

It seems an open-heart surgery (hoping you can clear the BIOS settings) is the only way to go. During the surgery - notice what kind of storage is used. If it is removable (miniPCI, M.2, SSD), you might be able to (temporary) substitute it with BIOS update routine.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean by "utility"?

Is every BIOS customized for the hardware it's installed to, or is it generic?

My pleasure. :) The Aptio 4/V you're referring to is just the interface you use to make certain changes. The underlying code that actually drives all of those features (among others) is the firmware, which is specific to the hardware. Unlike uninstalling a Windows program and installing another, the Aptio BIOS utility can't be replaced as easily.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I'm still not sure what you are referring to when you say "utility".

Are you referring to the BIOS interface... which in this case looks like this:
Aptio4_setup.png
If all this is is an "interface" (ie: "shell"), I should be able to replace it, no?

PS: NOT a screenshot from *my* computer.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Short answer: It doesn't work.

Specifically, it no longer recognizes the keyboard. :D

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I've been trying to avoid going into the lengthy details, but to suffice, I inadvertently disabled the USB controller in BIOS, then in an attempt to get it back, accidentally ended up loosing access to Windows (by way of a Boot Loader menu that needs keyboard input.) :(

It's a tablet, not a laptop. With detachable keyboard (that uses a USB based interface.)

That screenshot is the utility/interface I'm referring to, and no, it's not easily replaceable. It's tied in with the rest of the computer's firmware.

So, if you've disabled USB interface, you've cut all means to communicate with it. Even if you were able to find an original (or replacement) BIOS, you won't be able to boot off USB in order to update the BIOS...

It seems an open-heart surgery (hoping you can clear the BIOS settings) is the only way to go. During the surgery - notice what kind of storage is used. If it is removable (miniPCI, M.2, SSD), you might be able to (temporary) substitute it with BIOS update routine.

Solution

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Thx for the reply.

I already tried various methods to physically clear the bios settings based on information found scattered around the four corners of the Internet. Nothing worked. I'm down to my last option:

Using the method seen in this video, I am going to attempt to reflash the BIOS with a duplicate copy from a duplicate tablet. I bought a used working Insignia Flex Win-10 tablet identical to mine on eBay for $50.

I'll backup the BIOS on the working tablet (settings & all) to a file, then attempt to overwrite the Bios of my current disabled tablet using the procedure in the video (also having just purchased the necessary eeprom programmer on eBay for $10.)

If it works, I'll have two working tablets and can just sell one on eBay to recoup some of my losses. If it doesn't work, I'll still have one working tablet.

Wish me luck. (The chip programming hardware won't arrive from China for at least a month.)

:)