Can I replace one LCD screen with another in TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunkumark2000

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hi,
I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40D3550 with a cracked screen. Is it possible to replace this with a screen from another TV/brand? I have looked all over eBay to find a similar model with a good screen but no luck. I want to evaluate if it is even possible to replace a Sumsung's or other brand's panel in to the SONY. If not directly, is it possible by replacing the TCON board along with the panel and if other boards need to be replaced as well, just want to check the feasibility. Any help or hints would be appreciated.

the screen you need to replace it with needs to be the EXACT....let me repeat that.... the EXACT same one that you are taking out. all of the electronics are designed for the exact panel.

you might be able to get a replacement panel from sony but for the price you will pay it might be worth looking at getting a new television instead.

you can get a brand new sony television for $450-550 and a used one for about half that.

contaxx

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Odds are it is a samsung screen anyway! Or possibly an AU Optronics screen , remove the back panel and check the model code , generally a large white label , with that search for a replacement lcd , now heres the bad news , you normally can't get the the front tft matrix by itself the backlight module ccfl bulbs or led bulbs are thrown in too so you end up getting what you don't and do need , what you don't rear light module and all the weight that puts shipping costs through the roof , what you do , the appropriate lcd matrix where the image is . Logically what you propose may work , front panel (different model) tcon board (for that model lcd) aslong as the LVDS ribbon from the main board is compatible with the tcon board you are good , except the main board may have a different cable layout on the ribbon making the possibility that the screen you have will error code the main board . So it becomes a very expensive experiment . Should this be the case , no , samsung and au optronics have been charged with price fixing lcd modules so the prices are artificially high , google it and many tv repair companies probably have been stung buying parts hence nobody has tft matrices lcd screens in stock they order from samsung case by case , it's a terrible thing though ,see so many large lcd tvs dumped purely for lack of replacement lcds , and if the front lcd panel was shipped by itself it's no more than 2kg where the full modules are 10kg + , makes you sick!

ElectronicsFan72

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
You might just be better off buying a new TV in this situation; the only other option is replacing the screen with the exact same type, which unfortunately is quite expensive. Keep an eye out for some deals and maybe you will be able to buy a new television for less than the cost of repairs.

contaxx

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Sadly yes totally agree . Unless you are fortunate to come across a replacement panel on Ebay or can source a similar tv with say faulty inverter,psu,main board,tcon, your best bet is buy new! Oh but if you do try a panel swap beware of little shards of glass that may come from the broken panel , little beggars go everywhere! Best of luck

osinho

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

JJ89

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I was having problems with my Sony TV and while doing some research on T-Con boards (I think this is the problem with mine) I came across this blog:
Sharp RUNTK5261TPZG is the new universal T-Con board
http://www.fixyourdlp.com/2013/04/26/sharp-runtk5261tpzg-is-the-new-universal-t-con-board/
It seems this board is becoming the universal board for a lot of TVs and Sony appears to be the main supplier and OEM manufacturer.
Anyways, that's my input. Don't know if it will help or not. Good luck getting your TV up and running. Frustrating to have spent all this money on this TV and not have it work!
Later,
John James
Montreal, Quebec

Jeff_pepin

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
i have the same idea been while , in fact , any same sized panel WITH HIS TCON , can probably fitted , because LVDS is a standart of communication , it just need a lot of reingeenering . its actually what i am looking for because i get like 12 broken samsung synkmaster 400dxn monitor , knowing how to remanipulate then rewire LVDS signal should be the best .. actually , some chinesse guy with ACF bounding machine have some testers to test her lcd to rebound tabs ,, so it proove the fact of this standard

JayHatchell

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hi there, just read your last reply.

I have a KDL-32u2000 with a faulty screen everything else works, i can get a KDL-40S2030 for €20 on a local buy n sell the screen works but the boards dont and im not sure if its the power panal or the tv panel. What would the chances be of swapping the working boards from the 32u2000 into the 40s2030 ?

Would you recon this might work ?

Any help would be greatful

Thanks

Hatchy

j.brady23

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Contaxx,
You are a genius, I am envious of your mindset/demeanor. (Bows)

Mar 19, 2018
I am thinking the same thing jj89. I have been looking in Alibaba and have found a grip of stuff just not mine exactly. I have found numerous Samsung panels same size and connection. Only mine off 1080p and the others are the UHD 3840-2160... Hmmm

pkrplyr67

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

Hi I have an Emerson lc195emx LCD TV that just has broken cathode lamps inside of it and then I have this LCD screen from a iMac that has the exact same cathode lamps just smaller same plugs everything can I just take that those cathode lamps out of the iMac computer screen and plug them into the Emerson TV and make it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.