Can I swap laptop processor?

Stephen1228

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
I have an Intel core i5-4200 cpu @1.60ghz and I want to swap it for my other laptop which is intel core i5 3230m cpu @2.60ghz. Is it possible to swap these??

Solution

Both are BGA socket which means the cpu is soldered to the motherboard. Even of they were pga sockets one is ivy bridge and the other is haswell and there is no chipset or socket that supports both.

RageGamingZone

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
what is the exact model for the Intel core i5-4200? H, M, U, Y, etc . I was not able to find the one you are mentioning at 1.60ghz. The other one, I5 3230m that is a socket FCBGA1023 processor so once you find the other model, just let us know or you can look it up on the Intel site and check if the socket matches. If it doesn't match than its a big no no.

Best regards,

Stephen1228

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

it is i5-4200U

bignastyid

Splendid

Both are BGA socket which means the cpu is soldered to the motherboard. Even of they were pga sockets one is ivy bridge and the other is haswell and there is no chipset or socket that supports both.

Solution
First of all those cpu's are different sockets and thus not upgradable at all.

In regards to cpu upgrades in general:
Most laptops now days have CPU soldered directly to the motherboard, thus it is not removable.
Then IF the cpu is removable, it has to be one of the select CPUs that the motherboard bios supports. On some computers this is the entire product generation, on others this list is limited to the 4 possible options the computer had.

Why are you wanting to upgrade the CPU (I get you want higher clock speed, but for what purpose)?

Stephen1228

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015

just wanting to learn more..Im actually a student..thanks a lot both of you