Solved! Can I swap SSD from desktop to laptop with any situation?

Bruno Vincent

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Right now I share an SSD with my laptop and desktop, works wonderfully.

Desktop is i5-8400 and laptop is Toshiba with Pentium chip.

Windows 10 was installed in laptop, and sticking the SSD in the desktop straight out of the laptop works just fine.

Am I just lucky with this setup?

Do laptops drives work automatically in desktops without re-installing windows 10 on desktop as default behavior?

Solution
Yeah, lucky bastard indeed...

Not to diminish your favourable situation, it might have something to do with the new 370-series Intel chipset required to install 8th-gen CPUs. Maybe it's designed with a much wider tolerance than older Intel chipsets, like the ones on my 8 and 10-year-old Intel motherboards. I routinely have to tweak all manner of BIOS settings to do what you're doing - and more often than not I have to re-install Windows 10.

Have you tried this process the other way around? I.e. installing Windows 10 on the desktop MB and then move the SSD to the Toshiba? This, by the way, is not a recommendation - unless you have nothing better to do or yearn for some drama in your life...
Yeah, lucky bastard indeed...

Not to diminish your favourable situation, it might have something to do with the new 370-series Intel chipset required to install 8th-gen CPUs. Maybe it's designed with a much wider tolerance than older Intel chipsets, like the ones on my 8 and 10-year-old Intel motherboards. I routinely have to tweak all manner of BIOS settings to do what you're doing - and more often than not I have to re-install Windows 10.

Have you tried this process the other way around? I.e. installing Windows 10 on the desktop MB and then move the SSD to the Toshiba? This, by the way, is not a recommendation - unless you have nothing better to do or yearn for some drama in your life...

Solution