Can I upgrade my Dell 3542?

E1543

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
So I found a theoretical way to do this, but is it surefire? My theory is that I can plug in the gpu into the pci express 2.0 x1 slot on the dell inspiron 3542 motherboard, as long as the gpu would fit. Is this true?

Solution
'Generally laptops are not built to have swappable GPUs. Most of the time, you can only upgrade RAM and hard drives. There are one or two solutions out there using external graphics card enclosures - basically a dock for a desktop GPU that connects to your laptops.'
Brian Wangila-Computer Scientist Student

tothergnome

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Sure, check this website (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984716/laptop-computers/how-to-transform-your-laptop-into-a-gaming-powerhouse-with-an-external-graphics-card.html?page=2) It's really helpful and tells you what to do and how.

E1543

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Would a 750ti be good to use for this method? Also, would it be possible to jury rig a gt710 2gb DDR3 (I know it'd not be the best, but hey, it's a card) into the laptop itself?

E1543

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

But not using an egpu, if the card fit into the mpcie slot on the motherboard, could I put it in the laptop?

tothergnome

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
'Generally laptops are not built to have swappable GPUs. Most of the time, you can only upgrade RAM and hard drives. There are one or two solutions out there using external graphics card enclosures - basically a dock for a desktop GPU that connects to your laptops.'
Brian Wangila-Computer Scientist Student

Solution