Solved! Can I upgrade my laptop BGA soldered GPU chip? It's a GTX 765M

fermicro

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hello, looked at the internets, but haven`t found decisive information. Anyone?

I have a rebranded (as Avell) Clevo W350ST, Intel HM87, i5-4200M, 8GB DDR3 and a GTX 765M.

I bought it used and committed the mistake of using it for some time without replacing the dried out thermal paste (too hot - up to 100C - while up to 75C now), which I believe that led to a problem while playing Dota 2: video will freeze randomly, sound continues, must alt-tab and process kill the game to resume playing.

My question is, can I work on the BGA soldered GTX 765M but also take the opportunity to replace it with say, a GTX 960M or 970M?

Possible issues I can think of:
-BIOS not recognizing new chip
-Motherboard not feeding enough power to chip
-New chip generating more heat/TDP than fan was designed for

(second and third ones could be addressed by taking similar TDP new chip)

Thoughts?

Solution
Not feasible. Even the guys whom do component level repair usually wont do a bga cpu or gpu. It's rather difficult does not have a great success rate and good parts are hard to impossible to get. Another potential problem with going to a different generation gpu is a different bga socket.

bignastyid

Splendid
Not feasible. Even the guys whom do component level repair usually wont do a bga cpu or gpu. It's rather difficult does not have a great success rate and good parts are hard to impossible to get. Another potential problem with going to a different generation gpu is a different bga socket.

Solution

fermicro

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016

As per getting the service, I know at least two shops nearby who do BGA solder job/reballing on a specific machine for that.
Also these gpu chips are available at ebay reasonably cheap (say GTX 970M for 50USD). Marked new from China.
About the possibly different socket I`d have to take a look into.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And even if you can find someone to reliably do a change like this...does the BIOS support a different chip? The laptop cooling environment?
While the BGA part is the hardest part, it is by no means the only part.

If a laptop does not meet your performance needs...sell it and buy one that does.