Can I upgrade my netbook HDD?

danielbryce

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Is it possible to replace my hp 6910p HDD with another 2.5" one, its a 80gb, 5400, 1.5 sata and i noticed a 250gb, 5400, 3.0 sata for £20 second hand and dont want to waste money trying it to find out it does not work , another quick question would i better off buying a external HDD is there any advantages to internal like there is with phones where you officially need internal for apps, games etc. thanks in advance

Solution
The 250 GB hard drive should work without any issues. It will just run at the slower SATA I speeds (1.5 Gbps) instead of SATA II (3 Gbps) or III (6 Gbps) speeds.

An external drive would be good for keeping backups of important information, but you would still need an internal drive in your netbook. Windows is stored on the internal drive. While it can be stored on the external drive, your netbook may have issues booting of it, and it will be really slow due to the slower speeds of external connections (except for eSATA).

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
The 250 GB hard drive should work without any issues. It will just run at the slower SATA I speeds (1.5 Gbps) instead of SATA II (3 Gbps) or III (6 Gbps) speeds.

An external drive would be good for keeping backups of important information, but you would still need an internal drive in your netbook. Windows is stored on the internal drive. While it can be stored on the external drive, your netbook may have issues booting of it, and it will be really slow due to the slower speeds of external connections (except for eSATA).

Casey

Solution

A mechanical drive won't saturate second and third generation SATA speeds anyway, but yes danielbryce: the drive you mentioned is compatible. It won't offer you much for improving performance, but if you mainly want extra storage room, it's quite a difference over your 80 GB drive. :) Hopefully the seller has a return policy on the off chance you get a lemon.