Question Connecting my MacBook Pro's internal HDD as an external drive

Feb 18, 2021
Hi there, Tom's Guide community!

Recently, I've started to have problems booting up my MacBook Pro Mid-2012 with OS Mojave. When I press the power button, I hear the usual start-up sound, but instead of an Apple logo, the dreaded flashing folder with a question mark appears. When I looked around on the Internet, it said that this was because my hard drive cable was faulty, so I ordered a replacement from Amazon and installed it, but the problem still wasn't solved. I think the drive itself is not faulty as it doesn't make any clicking or scraping noises, but it's simply just the cable.

Failing that, I've ordered a SATA-to-USB cable from Amazon, and once it arrives, I want to use my MacBook's internal hard drive as an external drive that I can boot it off of and copy the files to another external hard drive as a backup. Can this be done, and are my files still safe on the HDD?

Thanks for any answers/help in advance! I've had my MacBook for around eight years now (so it's pretty old by Mac standards), and it means quite a lot to me, as I use it for my creative works like drawing digital art.

- Sabrina

Reactions: unto

unto

Great
Apr 27, 2021
Once upon a time this was named Target Disk mode. There were keys to mash during boot.

We need a bit more information on the hardware and versions involved to further assist you.