banros

Estimable
Oct 10, 2015
Okay. So I have an HP Pavilion dv7 4285dx, and I have scoured the HP website numerous times with this question. I did the walk-through to find my motherboard number and then it tells me to find the motherboard spec page but there isn't one on the HP website and there's literally nothing on Google.

I have an Intel i5 460M 2.53Ghz processor and a Hewlett-Packard 163D model motherboard. I'd love to upgrade to a better model i5 or preferably an i7 so I can run a specific game. Can I upgrade or would I need an entire new motherboard/processor pair?

Can anyone help? I've spent hours on HP Support and Google. HP Support won't help because my laptop has been out of warranty for around 3 years now.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

NerdyComputerGuy

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Evening,

With regards to upgrading your CPU in your laptop, it may be possible but it will be VERY difficult. Laptops, because of their compact size are very hard to upgrade, ok maybe changed the ram and hard drive is easy but the CPU!?!? That's a whole different level.

You would need to buy a new laptop from scratch if you want to get a better processor etc.

OR

You could take the laptop to a dodgy computer repair shop and get a quote on if they can change the processor for you. Issue with that is they are usually dodgy, they could break the laptop totally and / or charge you a bomb for it.

Regards,

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Actually, replacing a processor is rather simple as long as it's not soldered to the board. Taking the laptop apart to get to it can be tricky if you don't have experience doing it.

Your i5 460M comes in 2 varieties: BGA1288 and PGA988. If it's BGA, it's soldered. If it's PGA, you're in luck - all you'll need to do is locate an i7 with the same socket type and is also compatible with the chipset on the board. Download and run speccy to see if that will tell you which type you have.