Can I upgrade the processor and graphics card of my dell inspiron 7000 series laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheikh_rulzz

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015
I want to replace the current graphics card being NVIDIA® GeForce® 845M 2GB GDDR5 and install the nvidia geforce gtx 980m 4gb and as in the case of processor, i want to replace the current processor which is 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz)
with the Intel Core i7 4930MX quad core ‘extreme’ processor.

Is it possible?

Solution
Please download and run Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html), then copy and paste the info listed under "Main Circuit Board". Alternatively, download and run CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html), then copy and past the info under the "Mainboard" tab.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Don't think so. I'll have to check on your specific model (can you post the model # - the family, i.e. Inspiron 7000, usually isn't enough to go on), but most laptops that aren't high-end gamers are limited to upgrades on drives and memory. Changing out the GPU and CPU, if it's possible at all, usually entails changing out the whole motherboard and isn't worth the trouble. Often, the "upgrades" can cost more than a new laptop would.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Upgrading the processor does NOT usually require changing motherboards. I upgraded the processor in my Asus X54C from a Pentium B960 to an i5 2450M, and again from the i5 2450M to an i7 2670qm, using the exact same motherboard.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
That's an example of a single model's upgrade capacity, and there tends to be large differentials between the type and quality of components used in Asus rigs vs Dells. I can give you more that are similar, but for every one I can give about 60 examples of laptops and/or motherboards where either the CPU and/or GPU is soldered to the mobo, the available mobo BIOS' are not compatible with the upgrade CPU/GPU, etc. That doesn't include driver conflicts, possible heatsink capacity mismatches, or a dozen other considerations.

There are a metric ton of Dell Inspiron 7000-series variants. If you list your specific model number, it should be relatively easy to check whether: a) it's upgradeable; b) it's upgradeable to the specific components you listed; c) how involved the process is likely to be; and d) what it's likely to cost.

sheikh_rulzz

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

The model is dell inspiron 17 7746. The cost isn`t really much of an issue for me. All I want to know is that whether the required change of CPU and GPU is possible or not? Thanks for replying.

sheikh_rulzz

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

So your saying there is still hope? :p

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Please download and run Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html), then copy and paste the info listed under "Main Circuit Board". Alternatively, download and run CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html), then copy and past the info under the "Mainboard" tab.

Solution

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Unfortunately, your processor is of the FCBGA1168 variety, which is soldered to the board. I was simply correcting the blanket statement by volcanoscout. As for GPU most are also soldered to the board.

I have literally taken hundreds of laptops apart and most had non soldered processors, while most had soldered GPUs. The ones that replaceable GPUs though did not have an upgradeable part though. Like they were made that way just so they could be replaced if they failed.

As long as you find a laptop with a non soldered processor, all you have to do is look it up to find out what socket it is, along with the chipset of the motherboard and find an upgrade that is compatible with both. That's how I determined what I could do with mine.

JustinBalkissoon

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
So you're saying you want to try to replace a 15W processor with a 57W processor? That's definitely not possible, and it's bad for the laptop. You would probably destroy it with the high power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS