Can I use a toslink 3.5m adapter cable to transfer audio from my TV to my computer?

PeppermintFangs

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
Can I use this (http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-THINTOSMIN6-Toslink-Digital-Optical/dp/B00016W6Y6/ref=pd_sim_23_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BJEXE8MDWE1JAM1YJS4) to use my TV s sound system to play my computers audio? To clarify, I want the speakers on my TV to play audio on my computer. I have found a spdif out port on my TV and it s a VIZIO if that helps. Thanks!

Solution
If you have spare Optical input on your Sony Receiver - use this for your PC audio, or connect PC' headphones out to RCA Audio In on your receiver.

When you debug connections - plug simple headphones in your PC "Headphones out", and make sure they work before moving forward.

PeppermintFangs

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

Thanks for the reply. How can I go about doing what I want to do?

It depends what inputs you have on your TV, and how you can configure them. Some TVs have "Audio In" connection(s) to be paired with VGA and/or "yellow RCA" video input.

If you have your PC connected over HDMI, most probably you already have sound. Otherwise - connect PC' speakers out to TV' AuxIn, and configure TV to use the pair of audio/video inputs.

To be honest - the simplest soundbar system (or powered PC speakers) produces much better sound than meager TV speakers.

PeppermintFangs

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

My TV is actually connected to a Sony surround sound system. There's a port on my TV called "PC Audio" which I've tried connecting to my computers audio in. I then tried to change my default audio to "headphones" which would be the port connected to my TV, nothing came out. There are a lot of ports on the Sony surround soudn system. For example "TV Audio In" and "DV Audio In" Thanks so much for your help!

If you have spare Optical input on your Sony Receiver - use this for your PC audio, or connect PC' headphones out to RCA Audio In on your receiver.

When you debug connections - plug simple headphones in your PC "Headphones out", and make sure they work before moving forward.

Solution

PeppermintFangs

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

Seems that using the RCA in cables works! Thanks so much for your help :)