Can I use a vintage HK preamp in my home theater 5.1 surround sound setup?

Guarddog32

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help.
In my current home theater setup, I have a Marantz SR5011 surround sound receiver, which all my devices connect to via the hdmi cables. My front speakers are the Bose vintage 901 speakers with the equalizer that comes with the speakers, and I have a vintage Harmon Kardon HK870 amplifier hooked up also. I wanted to know if I can add the matching Harmon Kardon HK825 pre-amp into the system and be able to use all my devices that are hooked up to my Marantz SR5011 and be able to listen to my Bose 901's in stereo mode when I want to.

Solution
You don't need the preamp but you do need to use the amp. Without using the HK amp you have no way to use the Bose EQ which is essential to their sounding as designed.
Connect the front L/R preamp output on the Marantz receiver to the input on the Bose EQ.
Connect the output of the Bose EQ to the input of the HK amp.
Connect the Bose 901 speakers to the speaker terminals of the HK amp. All the other speakers connect directly to the receiver.
You will need to run set up on the Marantz so that the speaker levels are correctly set.
You don't need the preamp but you do need to use the amp. Without using the HK amp you have no way to use the Bose EQ which is essential to their sounding as designed.
Connect the front L/R preamp output on the Marantz receiver to the input on the Bose EQ.
Connect the output of the Bose EQ to the input of the HK amp.
Connect the Bose 901 speakers to the speaker terminals of the HK amp. All the other speakers connect directly to the receiver.
You will need to run set up on the Marantz so that the speaker levels are correctly set.

Solution