Can i use an external mic on an android device

UberGamer01

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
I am a YouTuber who does mobile gaming vids. I just bought an external microphone with a 3.5mm Jack on the end. When I plug into 3.5mm port on phone it registers as nothing and without it my AQ sucks, HELP!

Solution
Are you sure the port you are plugging it into actually is for microphones (input) or a combo input (input/output). Sadly many newer devices are not adding ports that have any input ability. So they only work with headphones and speakers.

If that is the case with yours, you will need to either 1. get an adapter to allow the device to connect through a USB port or 2. get a microphone that comes with a USB instead of 3.5mm jack.
Are you sure the port you are plugging it into actually is for microphones (input) or a combo input (input/output). Sadly many newer devices are not adding ports that have any input ability. So they only work with headphones and speakers.

If that is the case with yours, you will need to either 1. get an adapter to allow the device to connect through a USB port or 2. get a microphone that comes with a USB instead of 3.5mm jack.

Solution