Can I use headphone port as aux input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid_pro

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
Hi, I have a old philips c170 HiFi system. It has pretty good sound system but it hasn't got any aux port. What it has is a headphone port, cd/dvd port and FM transmitter and I'm wondering if there's any way I could use the headphone port as aux input? Or if I can make a input ?

Solution
sid,

i would suggest for a minute that you take a step back and listen to the advice that is being told by the users above as they are trying to help and what they have said is correct. otherwise, you may begin to frustrate the people trying to help here.

1. there is ZERO chance of using a headphone OUTPUT as an INPUT. generally all inputs can not be used as outputs and all outputs can not be used as inputs. the only exceptions are hdmi (arc) and on some soundcards which are wired to allow for port swapping.

2. a cd/dvd input sounds to me like an aux input. it sounds like either 3.5mm or rca red+white which would be what you are looking for.

3. splitters do not work that way. adding a splitter would only duplicate the headphone...
sid,

i would suggest for a minute that you take a step back and listen to the advice that is being told by the users above as they are trying to help and what they have said is correct. otherwise, you may begin to frustrate the people trying to help here.

1. there is ZERO chance of using a headphone OUTPUT as an INPUT. generally all inputs can not be used as outputs and all outputs can not be used as inputs. the only exceptions are hdmi (arc) and on some soundcards which are wired to allow for port swapping.

2. a cd/dvd input sounds to me like an aux input. it sounds like either 3.5mm or rca red+white which would be what you are looking for.

3. splitters do not work that way. adding a splitter would only duplicate the headphone output to two connectors (so you could connect two headphones).

4. the input does not need to be specifically labeled aux. this is semantics. any low level analog INPUT (not output) will work if it is 3.5mm or rca.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.