Can i use headphones with Pc+Xbox One+ Ps4 simultaneously

retriever22

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
Can i use headphones with Pc+Xbox One+ Ps4 simultaneously, while saying simultaneously i mean can i plug them once and just to switch between them when i need to? Now i got my roccat kave xtd 5.1 analog + asus xonar dx. I'm not sure that it is compatible with consoles, but if i'll buy a stereo headphones like ATH-AD700X, can i make it work somehow at the same time. I saw something like i want in LVL cap's setup i think, but i can't get how did he plugged it all. I will be very appreciate for help.

neither the ps4 nor xbo can output analog 5.1 sound. no usb adapters are also available to do this. the only way to get it would be to have a hdmi audio extractor with 5.1 support kind of like this http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Audio-Decoder-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B00R79IXIS/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439559154&sr=1-11&keywords=5.1+hdmi+audio+extractor or one which does optical. of course that is if you're connecting to the tv with hdmi. i suppose you could use a switch for the hdmi so that you only need to use one such box.

not sure i've ever seen a 3x3.5mm switch which handles 5.1 although i do know you could make your own with toggle switches (First result when you search for 5.1 3.5mm switch) or use 3 normal 3.5mm switches to do the same thing.

retriever22

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
ok but if i'll connect my 5.1 to that box it is not a solution to my problem. Its just how to make 5.1 works with consoles. But can i do something to make my pc xbox and ps work with 1 headphones simultaneously. it's like i switched off my pc and want o turn on an Xbox (i got everything plugged to a 1 monitor), but i dont want to unplug all cables every time to that box or to the pc. it is not actually necessary to make it work with 5.1. I'll buy a stereo for that if it will work simultaneously. Or should i buy few of that boxes? But anyway it is too hard to connect them all, i do not imagine how to plug headphones to a pc soundcard. maybe with some kind of adapter(http://www.amazon.fr/Hama-43353H-Connectique-Adaptateur-femelles/dp/B00006J6JQ) plug headphones to a soundcard, than with another adapter plug it to a Generic Hdmi to Hdmi (with xbox) than to pull the cables to another Generic Hdmi to Hdmi (with ps4) and switch between them... i dont know if it works...

you did not read what i said. please read it this time carefully:

--

your first problem is getting analog output from consoles given that you want to use analog 5.1 headphones with them. regardless of any kind of switching, you need to solve this problem first.

now, you could run two such boxes but for $35-50 cost that would be a bit costly which is why i suggested getting one box and hooking it up to both consoles with a switch. if you want to get technical, you could use a 3-way hdmi switch and hook it up to all 3 devices however i did not list this because it would bypass your good soundcard which you do not want to do. this is why i said to run a simple hdmi switch (2way) for the consoles only

okay, now you have two (assuming you're using a hdmi switch) sources of 5.1 audio. since many hdmi extractors have rca jacks not 3.5mm you'll need 3 adapter cables. once that is done, you should have two sets of 3 3.5mm cables. that is where the switch i told you comes in - you can DIY your own switch to do what you want. i'm not aware of any 5.1 two way 3.5mm switch. i'm not saying one does not exist (you can look) but that i have not seen one before.

--

if you were using 2.0 stereo headphones its a bit simpler. while you could certainly use hdmi audio extractors to pull audio you can get away with much cheaper usb soundcards (google usb to 3.5mm console) and buy one for each console. now, you will have 3 sources of 3.5mm stereo audio. you can find 3.5mm stereo to 3 or 4 way switches easily (may be called 4 port speaker selector)