Can I use my laptop like a TV screen using an HDMI cable with my Xbox 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gjunki

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
I was wondering if there was any software for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite U440) that would act as an HDMI input? Basically, could I hook up my Xbox 360 to my laptop using an HDMI cable and play MW3? By the way, I'm running Windows Vista HP.

firo40

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Laptop screens do not support line in from none proprietory hardware. In short, no. Do you not have a decent televison? Chances are your t.v is higher res then you laptop moniter

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
that port is out only. if it was an input as well it still wouldnt be a good idea because any game you would play would have a 1/4 second to 2 second lag time. depending on how well the manufacturer managed to get it. it would be ok on games like The Sims but for Halo it would be terrible.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The short answer is NO. The LCD on a notebook/laptop can't be accessed with the system's on-board HDMI port. The HDMI port on the notebook/laptop is an output port, not an input port.

Sorry.

Idysfunctional

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I use my laptop as a TV all the time, well at work. I pack my laptop and xbox, and play at work. It is possible, it's a portable TV for me. I just plug in the HDMI from the xbox to my laptop.

Twista209

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

How do you do this? Is there a trick to it? Or certain hardware/software?

galaxieburst40

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
Hello, there might be a solution but I don't know how good the solution is. I have never tried this solution, so I couldn't tell you how good it is. But I wanted to let you know there might be a way through this. I don't know if they manufacture expresscard notebooks anymore, but if your notebook has an expresscard slot, there is something I found on amazon called an expresscard hdmi capture card. I feel like it's not all together a good thing that I recommend something that I haven't tried personally and found to work, so whether it works for you is up to you. But if the expresscard hdmi capture card works, then theoretically you can hook up hdmi inputs into your notebook. Just thought I'd share this with you.

Jemma Louise

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015

How did you do this as my tv just broke n can't really afford to buy new one at the moment and the only best option i got is my laptop but its harder than it looks so could you please help me with your method please

key2sanity

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015

If you read his later reply you would find he has a laptop with Dual HDMI Ports. He can use the "In" port to input a signal.
If you have an LCD computer monitor you can use that, just plug in the HDMI cord.

Ultam8

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015

And where could you get one of these? (I'm running Windows 8, if it makes a difference) :bounce:

MiDnIgHtXeLiTe

Estimable
Apr 12, 2015

And where could you get one of these? (I'm running Windows 8, if it makes a difference) :bounce:[/quotemsg]

No need for an elgato, you would be better off buying a cheap capture card, just search on Amazon or eBay. Or you could just buy a cheap monitor for £80 to £100

Donnetta Williams

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015

Your response is not correct. My brother is doing exactly that with his lap top and ps3 while both are hdmi compatible if this is not the case than I can understand why you would not be able to do it.

zacsaturday

Estimable
Sep 6, 2015

What Laptop do you have? I'm looking for a laptop with either HDMI/VGA/etc in, expresscard or thunderbolt. or USB (but I don't know if you can share the screen with a Xbox/PS/Gaming PC).

Prahalad123

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015
try using a dual hdmi port for input and output and this wont matter which software you have and I hope this helps you for hardcore gaming on your laptop

Nexus_

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
HDMI is NOT output only except in instances of hdmi to dvi connections. Why? Because HDMI is High Definition Multimedia Interface, keyword 'interface'. this means 2 way communication. Whether or not your particular laptop can support more than just a data feed (i.e. video) is going to depend entirely on your laptop and the hdmi cord you are using, not all hdmi cords support the 2 way communication so if you are using a cheap hdmi that could be your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.