Can I use normal DDR3(not the low powered one) in my Hp probook 450 G1

Snypster

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hello,
I managed to salvage a 8GB normal DDR3 from my probook 4530s that just died on me and when I'm trying it in the 450 G1 it works, but when I start up, HP bios gives me a warning for inappropriate memory and asks me if I want to continue of shutdown
If i continue it starts up without any problem and I can use it without any crash, but I'm afraid it might affect the motherboard

Thank you in advance for your answers and sorry for my english, i'm not native speaker

jaguarskx

Champion
I suppose the is no harm in attempting to use the old RAM. However, since the RAM needs more voltage than the slot provides, it could lead to system instability assuming it does not prevent the laptop from booting up.

Snypster

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

The low powered DDR3 uses 1.35v and the normal one 1.5v
Both have a memory clock of 1600Mhz

jaguarskx

Champion
I suppose the is no harm in attempting to use the old RAM. However, since the RAM needs more voltage than the slot provides, it could lead to system instability assuming it does not prevent the laptop from booting up.

Luis GP

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014

No you can't. If you try the BIOS presents you a text screen and freezes.

It is my understanding that any Haswell laptop in fact needs DDR3L ram. In Ivy bridge models, DDR3L is supported but not mandatory. Still you can't mix DDR3 and DDR3L on the same machine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Laptop Tech Support 4
Alexandruhada12 Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 2
N Laptop Tech Support 0
L Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 2
N Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 1