Can laptop battery discharge thru an unpowered charger?

wiredtomyears

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
If I leave my laptop charger plugged into the laptop, but turn off the AC power to the charger, will the Li-ion battery slowly discharge thru the charger when the laptop is shut down?

Solution
The battery will slowly discharge whether it is connected to a charger or not. The discharge rate "might" be mimimally more active with the charger connected but unplugged, but I doubt that it would be significant enough for you to notice.
The battery will slowly discharge whether it is connected to a charger or not. The discharge rate "might" be mimimally more active with the charger connected but unplugged, but I doubt that it would be significant enough for you to notice.

Solution

metalcorepcb

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Battery gets discharged slowly only if you have your laptop switched-on. So, just when it is connected, there is nothing to get worried about the battery consumption.

Wrong. Batteries are almost always in a state of discharging, unless they are charging. The second you unplug ANY battery from charging power, it immediately begins to discharge. DIfferent batteries discharge at different rates, but for all intents and purposes, they ALL discharge when not charging whether connected to anything or not.