Can Man (And Family) Live On Skype Alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
You can also use google voice to control the flow of phone calls. Get a google number then have it go to skype and cell phone at the same time. Answer where appropriate.

G

I think one of the devices that you should have checked out was the PSP. Skype on the psp using Wifi is great. The only bad part is that you have to purchase the headset, but if your playing socom or something like that you already have the headset. When I went to Korea on business, they have free Wifi at the ariport and I called home for free on my psp and it was frreeeeee!

G

why the nokia n900 phone wont reconize #* when you have to use it to top up you cell ph

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Perhaps Tom's can do a similar comparison for the open standard SIP based phones? They can carry both audio and video depending on capabilities of each phone and would be a goood read for those of us who already have a SIP based phone server (Like me :p).

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I have to keep in touch with my long distance fiancee who lives in the middle east. If it weren't for Skype, we'd have to go for many weeks without seeing or hearing each other. The money that I saved through Skype I am spending on plane tickets.
My Skype setup is your standard laptop, webcam, headset setup. But on the go I use a Nokia E71. I use Fring, the other apps were dire. Fring does the job of having all of my IMs and phone calls in one place. Thanks to a relatively good 3G coverage near me, I only lose calls in the countryside. And, well, I can put up with that...

G

You're forgetting Ooma, another Voip company that doesn't require a PC to work, and NO MONTLY CHARGES :)

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]spawnocula[/nom]You're forgetting Ooma, another Voip company that doesn't require a PC to work, and NO MONTLY CHARGES[/citation]
Ooma has some benefits (and also remember that Skype has no monthly charges for pc-to-pc calls) but the trouble is that if your friends aren't already using Ooma it is tough to get them to switch. Skype has the installed base for now...

G

In response to Tomsguiderachel, concerning Ooma, there is no need for others to be on Ooma to use it yourself. Once you've installed it to your router and plugged in your normal telephones (wired or cordless), it works just like any other phone. The people you call don't need to have an Ooma device. All domestic calls are free and international calls are similar and even slightly cheaper than Skype.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mhains[/nom]In response to Tomsguiderachel, concerning Ooma, there is no need for others to be on Ooma to use it yourself. Once you've installed it to your router and plugged in your normal telephones (wired or cordless), it works just like any other phone. The people you call don't need to have an Ooma device. All domestic calls are free and international calls are similar and even slightly cheaper than Skype.[/citation]
Thanks for the info. Might be worth a try for some people!

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Haven't done any research, but i'm pretty sure there are Skype compatible USB to RJ-11 connectors that would allow you have a home server type box set up in a closet hooked into the house's telephone wires and let standard phones hook in as usual. Seems like these could be a great solution for many homes with existing corded/cordless phones. I may be dreaming though.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I don't live there but we manage to get an Ooma device here in a country in Asia. It works well considering no monthly charges, good as our Vonage phone. It is also a bit better since has more features.

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
It was either Phillips or Panasonic had an excellent Skype phone, but they quite making it. I really want a Skype phone I can plug into my router so I have access to Skype without my PC running. But I have yet to see a phone that isn't either way over-priced, a piece of junk, or looks very uncomfortable to hold.

benzimidazolone

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Great article(s)!! What about using Skype over GSM/3G/4G on the cell phones? For me the huge killer in my cell phone bills is when I have to call outside the USA (Canada or Europe). If I could use Skypeout, that could lower my costs significantly but I am afraid of what the quality will be like and I can't seem to get a straight answer (surprise, surprise) from any cell phone provider.

HC1Gunner

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
benzimidazolone I've used Vonage to make over seas calls, and it was clear as bell, I have never used my skype to make any overseas calls, but VOIP pretty much works the same regardless of the app. About the only negative thing I can say about VOIP is using Magic Jack, lot complaints of drop calls and cut-outs.

benzimidazolone

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
dude, you are missing the point...what I mean is using the Skype app with the iPhone or other smart phone over the GSM/3G/4G network, not[uover a conventional internet connection (wired or wireless).

gdathome

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I use Skype with my Linksys CIT200 Skype cordless phone. I have been using it since 2006 and it is just great. Works like a land line phone since it is cordless and has a 2.5 mm headphone jack, I can roam around the house while on a call! This phone has a base station and I am amazed at the clearness of the calls and distance I can go. Why did they stop making this phone!

G

I had Belkin desktop phone but the problem with those are you cannot enter number after a call is made. Like, when you hear "Dial 1 for English" and you try to enter 1 nothing happens. I called Belkin and they said the chips on those phones do not allow this feature. I returned the phones and got Linksys phone and all is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.