Can multiple Bluetooth speakers be connected to my computer and play at the same time?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomthbomb

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
I can pair several Bluetooth speakers to my laptop, but can I make them all connect and play from the one Bluetooth connection at the same time?
As of now, I have to select one speaker to connect and play at one time. I would like to play several in different rooms at the same time.

Solution
There are stereo Bluetooth speakers with two separate enclosures you can move around, but of course if you have music that plays left or right, if you move one of the speakers to another area you will have issues. If you can select Mono output then that will sound fine since the left/right mix will be send to one speaker.

SwaroopDas

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
Here is my Workaround solution to the 1 Laptop/Tablet Source and Multiple BT Headsets/Speakers Scenerio without spending a dime or looking for any HW addon.

below is the solution for 2 BT headpones connected to Laptop.
1. Install free software 'SyncPlay' in the Laptop.
2. Run 2 instances of Syncplay one as Server and other as client with both attached to VLC Player.
3. Set the audio-device of Server-VLC to BT-Headpone/Speaker-1 and audio-device of Client-VLC to to BT-Headpone/Speaker-2. [using VLC Menu->Audio->Audio Device]
4. Make client-vlc minimized,
5. Set the Audio Path directories in both the Sync Player to same Folder location. [Using SyncPlay Menu File->Set Media Directories]
6. Play audio/Video on the Server-VLC, and Control the Client-VLC using the Client-Syncplay. If you are watching Video remember to set the Video_track of Client-vlc as disabled, Viola.. u are through.

Sometimes you need to sync the client-audio just by moving the slider control of the server-vlc. You can add more than 2 bluetooth speakers/headphones with this solution, just need to add number of syncplay clients and set the respective audio-device in the vlc instances.

This is how I watch movies with my wife using 2 BT-Headphones and Single Laptop in flights or in similar situations.

Iandxb

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
This solution is for MAC (I believe El Capitan onwards...)...

On the MAC Turn on bluetooth and pair and connect to each speaker you want to use. Once all are connected open the Audio Midi Setup app found in the Utilities folder in the App directory.

In the lower left corner click on the '+' and create a Multi-output device.

Your connected bluetooth devices should be listed. Tick each one that you want to use.

Open System Preferences, click on Sound (the speaker icon) and choose the Multi-output device.

Open iTunes and play your tunes.

The MAC will output to all connected bluetooth speakers.

If you want to play with volumes, left/right output volumes, mute etc then go back to the Audio Midi Setup app and click on the little triangle to the left of your Multi Output Device description and a drop-down will open showing the controls for each device. You can type in volume percent value or dB in the boxes or tick/untick boxes to mute the speaker or left/right channels.

Enjoy!

MichelleShelly

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Hi. Did you find a suitable solution for this?
I wish to connect 2 sets of bluetooth headphones to the same android tablet .... used for kids watchig movies on long car trips without driving us parents crazy or messy cords everywhere.
Thanks for your help.
Michelle.

Status
Not open for further replies.